39. Parting Ways

"Where do you think you're goin', Addams?" Sheriff Galpin asked Wednesday as she stalked towards the front door as the sun began to rise in the morning.

Wednesday didn't respond. She simply opened the door, walked out, and shut it. 

"Who was that?" Tyler asked, rubbing his eyes as he walked down the stairs. 

"No one. I'm leaving early today, so you'll have to fix breakfast for the Sinclair girl," his father replied.

"Why? She can make it herself. She has two perfectly good hands, and I'm not her servant," grumbled Tyler.

"You wounded her pretty bad when you got into that fight last semester. You owe her, son," the sheriff replied.

"You can make my breakfast too," Xavier muttered as he drowsily walked down the stairs behind the hyde.

Sheriff Galpin wearily shook his head. "If I hear about any more arguments between the two of you, you'll both be sleeping outside. Good luck with that. I'll be back by seven."

Xavier rolled his eyes and shrugged. "Fair enough. Where's Wednesday?"

"She's gone," replied the sheriff.

"What?!" Xavier exclaimed. "When?! Where is she going?!"

"Just a few minutes ago, left the house without a single word," replied the sheriff.

"And you didn't try to stop her?! Or at least ask her where she was going?!" exclaimed Xavier.

"It's none of my business. She kept it to herself, and I'm gonna respect that unless she breaks the goddamn rules. Leave the girl alone, Thorpe," replied the sheriff.

"Okay, she's literally my girlfriend! So it kinda does matter to me where she is and if she's okay!" Xavier exclaimed.

Sheriff Galpin shook his head. "Don't lie to me, son. We all heard your conversation last night, and she sure of hell isn't your girlfriend."

Xavier balled his hands into fists. "Just because she's busy with other things--"

"We don't give a shit, Xavier. Leave my dad out of this," Tyler grumbled. 

Xavier rolled his eyes and stubbornly stomped his way to the front door, hoping to catch up to Wednesday- wherever she was- before she did something she'd regret.

Thankfully, he saw her figure about to wander into the woods from where they'd come the previous week,

and then he ran after her.

"Wednesday! Wait!" The girl heard a faint echo of a familiar voice calling from afar. She ignored the calling. If she were to listen to it, it would fight her.

"Wednesday!" Xavier shouted louder until he caught up with her. "Where are you going?!"

Wednesday ignored him. "Wednesday, please, you worried the shit out of me. You didn't tell me you were leaving."

"Go back to the sheriff's house, Xavier. You will not want to come where I'm going," Wednesday replied, deadpan.

"I'm not just gonna leave you in the woods alone--" Xavier argued.

"I am going back to Nevermore," replied Wednesday. "Go back to the house. I will find a way to contact you if I need anything." 

"You're-- You're just leaving?" Xavier asked, taken aback.

"That is where Zachary is and the only people that will help us. I have to warn them," replied Wednesday.

"Zachary Chapman won't help you," Xavier scoffed, "he'll throw you to the pit of despair where his father is."

"He will help me, Xavier. He cares about me. I am the only one he will trust," Wednesday replied.

"Wednesday, I get that he cares about you and that you wanna try to help everyone in the best way possible, but going out there alone when everyone thinks you're the villain doesn't sound very safe," Xavier said with a coarse sigh.

"Thank you for your insight, Xavier, but it is unnecessary. I have done my research, and I know I can win this battle on my own," Wednesday replied.

"Wednesday, I don't wanna sound like a jackass, but I just got you to myself and--" complained Xavier.

"Our relationship has nothing to do with this, Xavier. I am going back to Nevermore and you can't come with me. I know you don't want to. I can handle myself," Wednesday replied.

Xavier shook his head. "Wednesday--"

Wednesday quickly pulled his face down to her level and kissed his cheek. "Goodbye, Xavier."

Xavier pulled her in by the waist and whispered into her ear, "Please don't leave, Wednesday. I can't deal with the shit at that goddamn house without you."

"Goodbye, Xavier," Wednesday replied. 

"Damnit, I'm gonna miss you like hell," Xavier muttered under his breath. 

As he put his lips to Wednesday's ear once more, he whispered, "Are you sure you wanna leave? We've only been technically together for two days--" 

"You're testing me, Xavier, and it is not working. I will contact you if I need you," Wednesday replied loudly.

"When you need me," Xavier whispered into her ear again as he pulled her even closer, "because I know you just can't live without me."

"That is why you are staying here, away from the danger. It is not safe for you to get near another bow and arrow if it means protecting someone," Wednesday replied.

"So if I hadn't tried to save you when Crackstone was tryna kill you, you would've let me come now?" asked Xavier, teasingly.

"Perhaps," said Wednesday.

"I'll miss you, Addams," Xavier murmured before trying to quickly give her a kiss.

She pulled away before he could and began walking further into the woods.

"Hey!" called Xavier. "That's not fair!"

"Goodbye, Xavier," Wednesday replied once and for all.

Xavier rubbed his palm over his forehead in annoyance as he watched the love of his life walk away.

He didn't know what her plan was. 

Wednesday hadn't explained herself very well at all.

He didn't know if she was going to confidently walk into the principal's office and demand that she know the truth.

He didn't know how far she was going to go to re-win Zachary Chapman's trust.

He didn't know if the other outcasts would believe her.

He didn't know how she was going to get back in contact with him since she refused to use the phone he'd gotten her.

And most importantly, he didn't know how Timothy Anderson and Mr. Chapman would react once they found out that Wednesday had returned to Nevermore.

All Xavier knew was that what Wednesday was doing was dangerous, unpredictable, and a possible suicide mission.

He prayed to God he didn't die not knowing whether Wednesday Addams loved him back or not,

because if she didn't make out her mission alive,

he didn't know how he'd manage to live a day without her.