44. A Trial To Remember

"That's enough from you, rat. These kids convinced me something was going on, and of course, the second I come here, I find you two at fault," Sheriff Galpin said to the two old men.

Mila's eyes widened as she watched her father's life-long best friend fall to the ground, struggling during his last seconds of life. She looked up at the sheriff. "You-- You killed him."

"And he would've killed you and all the kids here if I hadn't," replied Sheriff Galpin. He then looked over at Michael Chapman. "Put your hands up where I can see 'em."

Xavier, Enid, and Ajax emerged from behind the sheriff as they watched the scene play out.

Mr. Chapman's jaw dropped as the sheriff pointed the gun at him. "Oh, come on now, Don! We've been friends for ages! You know that this was all a part of Tim's plan! He just wanted to make the world a better place, and he threatened me that if I didn't, he would--"

"All of us here know that's a bunch of bullshit," said Sheriff Galpin. "Miss Addams here," he said, motioning towards Wednesday, "sent me a tape of Timothy Anderson telling all your friends that he wanted to expunge all these outcasts off of the face of the earth. And you were right there next to him, Michael, cheering him on and talking shit to your kids as if they should be dead."

A single tear rolled down Mila's cheek as she watched the sheriff slowly but surely arrest her father. Mr. Chapman looked dismally down at his oldest daughter. "Mila, honey, the sheriff doesn't know what he's talking about. He just wants normies to suffer at the hand of--"

"Stop lying," she told her father as her voice broke. "We all know how horrible you have been to them. We all know what you and Mr. Anderson hid up at Dunn Rock."

Mr. Chapman's eyes widened in intense fear as he whisper-hissed, "Goddamn it, Mila! Shut your damn mouth! There are bad people around you who will use that place against us, and it's going to be all your--"

"Dad?" Zachary Chapman asked as he entered the quad from the door. "What-- What's happening?" Mr. Chapman remained silent as Sheriff Galpin walked him towards the door. The sheriff looked at the man's son and said, "Your father is going to the town square."

Zachary shook his head. "What are you talking about? I don't understand! He didn't do anything wrong! He was just trying to look out for his family!"

Sheriff Galpin shook his head. "What your father did was illegal, son. He's going to the square to experience what he had planned for those kids he kidnapped."

Wednesday trailed behind the sheriff towards the door. Xavier gently grabbed her arm and asked her, "Where are you going?"

Her eyes lit up with a vengeance as she merely replied, "To see justice served on a cutthroat dagger."

"Addams?" Sheriff Galpin asked, looking back at her. "Yes," Wednesday acknowledged. "Here are the keys to the cells at Dunn Rock." He said, flinging them out from Mr. Chapman's back pocket, "Go release the kids and come to the square. Bring them with you. I won't put this jackass on trial until you get there."

Wednesday took the keys and glanced over at Xavier, Enid, and Ajax. "You should all come. I am going to need more than one vehicle to transport them."

Xavier nodded with a smile. "I'll go with you, Wednesday, and Enid can go with Ajax."

"No!" Enid objected. "I'm going with Wednesday because I haven't seen her in days! You've been able to talk to her since last night!"

Xavier sighed. "Okay, fine. But I'm riding with her on the way to the square. She's my girlfriend, you know."

"She was mine first," Zachary Chapman growled under his breath.

Wednesday glared daggers at the normie boy. "You were not invited, Zachary."