20. Romeo and Juliet

The next morning, Wednesday and Xavier were eating breakfast when he got a call from Mila.

He glanced over at Wednesday. "I should probably take this."

"I do not know why you are asking me for permission. I am not your mother," Wednesday said distastefully.

Xavier rolled his eyes will a slight grin and lifted the phone to his ear. "Morning, Mils. What's up?"

The girl's voice was hoarse and broken. "Xavier, I need to stay at Nevermore. My father-- He--"

Her voice was interrupted by a shout in the background. "Mila Elaine Chapman, you better not be calling that damned outcast! I swear on your dog's life--"

Xavier swallowed anxiously. "Mila, are you still there?"

"No, dad! I swear it's not him! It's a friend from school!" Mila called back to her father as her voice cracked in the middle of the sentence.

"I swear to god if you're lying, I'm taking away that goddamn phone of yours!" Mr. Chapman shouted back. "I'm going to the market, you'd better be off by the time I'm home!"

"Mila," Xavier whispered through the screen, "Are you okay?"

A few minutes of silence passed before she answered. "Yes. We have to talk fast."

Xavier nodded slowly. "I know, Mils. I know."

"I need to be able to come stay at Nevermore. My house isn't safe anymore," Mila cried as her voice broke once more.

Xavier shook his head. "I can't do that for you, Mils, as much as I want to. I'm sure we can find you somewhere else to stay."

"Why, Xavier?! Why can't you just do this one thing for me?! Is my father right?! Do you even love me at all?!" Mila cried.

"I'm sorry, Mila. Just listen to your father. From what I've heard, I won't be seeing you for a while. Just stay there. I promise I'm working on helping you out- on helping all of us out," Xavier said, trying to reassure the girl.

"All of us?! Who are you even talking about?!" Mila exclaimed.

Xavier clenched his eyes shut. "Just stay there, Mila. I promise I'm gonna help you. Stay safe. I'll see you soon, I promise."

And just like that, he hung up.

"What is happening at the Chapman home?" Wednesday asked.

Xavier stared blankly at the table. "Her dad is getting really pissed. He threatened to kill their dog. So, there's nothing we can do right now other than continue stalking them."

Wednesday stared intensely at Xavier. "That is how we will help her. Just remember your promise," She reminded him.

Xavier nodded as a small smile lightened up his face. "I'll never break my promise to you, Wednesday. You know that."

Enid skipped happily over to the two friends. "Heyyyy Xavier, hey Wednesday, how's it going?" She asked with a smirk.

"Stop making that inferring facial expression," Wednesday muttered.

Enid glanced over at Xavier. "So, have you broken up with Mila yet?"

He shook his head. "I can't for now. She's in deep shit."

Enid frowned. "Oh, with her dad? I heard about that."

"How did you hear about it?" Xavier asked.

Enid shrugged. "It's basically all over the town. Zachary's been declaring he's gonna break up with Wednesday later today."