17. Pinky Promise

"Hey," Xavier said, walking up with his food tray to Enid and Wednesday's table. "Is it cool if I sit here with you guys?"

Wednesday looked up at the boy. "Do you see a sign that says reserved seating?"

He raised an eyebrow, a little confused. "Uhhh... no."

"Then I do not understand what is hindering you from sitting here," she commented.

Xavier smiled with a slight nod. "Yeah, uh, thanks."

A short moment of silence passed before he asked, "Hey, so, uh, what's the next step in your plan? I don't really see where to go from here. You've just been spending a lot of time with Zachary."

"You grow jealous too easily, Xavier. You forget you have a girlfriend. You should be spending more time with her than I am with Zachary," Wednesday advised. 

Xavier sighed. "Yeah, okay, but how does that help with anything? Nothing either of them said last week helps with the whole 'missing outcasts' scenario."

"If you are going to look over every word that comes out of Mila and Zachary's mouths, you may as well join a circus act. You are too jealous to even notice when something strange or worth looking into comes out of Zachary's mouth, and you do not give Mila the attention she is obviously begging of you," The raven chided.

Xavier shook his head, scoffing. "Really, Wednesday? You literally told someone that you had a planned date with that you would rather die in the most brutal way possible every single day for the rest of your life than see his face ever again, and you're giving me love advice?!"

Wednesday couldn't believe what she was hearing. He'd seriously brought up James McCellan? The boy who objectified women with every single word that sputtered out of his mouth?!

As soon as those words came out of Xavier's mouth, Enid stood up and pounded her fists on the wooden table. "OMG, would you two just get along for once?! This fighting has been going on for months, and I am so tired of hearing you argue about each other's love lives when all you want to do is date each other!!!!" 

Xavier's jaw dropped in shock.

Wednesday glared at her best friend. 

Enid glared back. "You know it, and you can't tell me it's not true!" She growled before storming off.

Xavier scratched the back of his neck nervously. "I mean... she's not wrong. I just need to break up with Mila at this point."

Wednesday glared daggers back at him. "This argument would not have started if you did not get so easily jealous."

Xavier was about to rebuttal, but Wednesday walked away with her head held high before he had the chance.

...

The next morning at breakfast, Wednesday spotted Xavier in line and grabbed his arm, pulling him away towards the exit. "I need to speak with you. Now."

"What do you want?" Xavier asked, annoyed.

Wednesday stared him dead in the eyes as she said, "Enid was not wrong about the fighting, and we need to stop. But I need you to promise me you will not break up with Mila until the plan is finished."

Xavier raised his eyebrow with a smirk on his face. "Oh, so you need me again, do you?"

Wednesday stared back at him, completely unamused. "This is not the time to flirt, Xavier. Can you promise me you will not break up with Mila until the plan is fully accomplished?"

Xavier lifted up his pinky to Wednesday's with a warm, genuine smile on his face.

The girl found his actions confusing. "What are you doing? Put your crooked hook-looking baby finger away and answer my question."

"It's a pinky promise, Wednesday, and I do not have hook-looking fingers! Give me your pinky," Xavier responded, chuckling.

Wednesday gave him an untrusting look but held up her pinky. 

Xavier hooked his strange looking pinky around hers and vowed, "I, Xavier Thorpe, pinky promise that I will not break up with Mila Chapman until the genius plan of Wednesday Addams is complete, per the request of Wednesday Addams."

Just as Xavier finished his last sentence, Enid ran up to the two friends. "OMG, you two finally made up! I can finally be happy again! WAVIER SAILS AGAIN!!!!" She squealed.

Wednesday stared at Enid. "No, Enid. He is not breaking up with Mila."

Enid giggled and wrapped her best friend in a bear hug. "Not for now, but he just pinky promised you!!!!! Couples do that all the time!!!!! EEEEEK!"

Wednesday glared at Xavier as he immediately pulled his phone out of his pocket and snapped a picture of Enid suffocating Wednesday. "Yup, this one's a keeper."

...

About a half hour later, Xavier and Wednesday got their breakfast and sat down together. 

The entire time, Enid pretended to be taking selfies, when she was really taking photos of Wednesday and Xavier slyly smirking at each other.

After they were both done eating, the artist looked over at the raven, admiring how beautiful she looked. "So, boss, what's the next step of this genius plan of yours?"

"We become night stalkers," The raven responded with a gleam of mischief in her eyes.

Xavier chuckled. "Uhhh... what's a night stalker?"

"Use your brain, Xavier. It is self-explanatory," Wednesday responded.

"Okay, yeah. But who are we stalking?" Xavier asked.

Wednesday refused to say it out loud, so she quickly jotted down two names and slipped the piece of paper over to Xavier.

[ Mila and Zachary ]

"Wednesday, I don't know if that's such a good idea. I mean I know we're not on great terms with them or whatever right now, but Mila is my girlfriend," Xavier said with a frown.

Wednesday stared at him intensely. "Your girlfriend keeps secrets."

"Yeah, so does everyone else. What's your point?" Xavier asked.

"Last week, Zachary mentioned that the founding families of Jericho gather together every two weeks. That's twenty-four times a year, Xavier. I am sure there are reasons they have for gatherings other than simply catching up with each other. Obviously, it was supposed to remain a secret. Mila did not want it shared. She does not fully trust us, so I need you to spend as much time with her as possible," Wednesday shared.

Xavier nodded. "Yeah. Yeah, I can definitely do that."

"The meetings are every two weeks. I will find out on my own when the next one is being held. Then we will follow Zachary and Mila when they go. We will bring voice recorders, cameras, and the other equipment that is needed. Thing will be our assistance. There is no possible way the founding families of Jericho do not know about the outcast disappearances," Wednesday finished. 

Xavier sighed. "That's kinda a lot, Wednesday."

"For someone who seems to enjoy being a necessity, you try to compromise your thoughts extremely often," Wednesday commented.

He shrugged. "Okay, okay. Fine. I'll agree to do this with you. But only if you agree to something for me."

"What are you asking of me?" She asked in return.

Xavier looked Wednesday deep in the eyes. "Promise me you'll give us a chance after this is all finished."

Wednesday blinked harshly and held out her pinky immediately to hook around his. 

"I promise."