38. Enough is Enough

After Wednesday and Xavier went back to their spot in the forest and finished their lunch, they headed back to the sheriff's house.

"Wednesday!" Enid squealed as she ran and suffocated her best friend with a bear hug. "I can't believe it! I'm so proud of you!"

Wednesday pulled back and stared questionably at Enid's twisted facial features. She seemed even more joyful than normal. "You have no reason to be proud of me."

Xavier rolled his eyes and shrugged. "I dunno about that, per say, but she's making it a bigger deal than it should be."

"Why are you even more bubbly than usual?" Wednesday asked Enid with a frown.

"Because you and Xavier are finally together, duh!" Enid squealed in return.

Of course, the joy had to come to a stop. As soon as Enid said the last word in her sentence, Sheriff Galpin walked out onto the front steps of his house with his arms crossed. "Good, you kids are back. Come join us in the back for a family conversation."

Wednesday frowned as she uttered the sentence, "We aren't a family."

"You're livin' under my roof, Addams. You've already pushed the boundaries I set. I'm not taking any more of those petty excuses," replied Sheriff Galpin.

Wednesday hesitantly glanced over at Xavier, and he reassuringly took her small hand into his. 

The gesture of care earned a death glare from the sheriff. "Let go of her hand, Thorpe. You're both already in deep shit, and I'm not gonna just sit here and watch you both go all lovey-dovey on each other."

Xavier reluctantly let go of Wednesday's hand after giving it a tight squeeze. "Sorry," he mumbled.

"You are not at fault," Wednesday grumbled back in return.

...

A little less than fifteen minutes later, Wednesday, Xavier, Enid, Ajax, Tyler, and the sheriff all sat together at the dinner table. 

"Alright, can any of you tell me why we're all here right now?" asked Sheriff Galpin.

"Xavier tried to fuck with Wednesday," Tyler growled.

"Shut up, son. I wasn't speakin' to you," grumbled the sheriff.

Enid blinked in dead fear. "Wednesday and Xavier went out in public?"

"No we didn't," Xavier commented with an annoyed eye roll.

Sheriff Galpin shook his head and stared directly at Wednesday as he said, "Enough is enough. You've all been breakin' the rules like there's no tomorrow. With disobedience comes consequences. You're all goin' back to Nevermore."

"What?!" Enid squealed.

"Please, man, we can't go back now," pleaded Ajax.

"You can't send us back, the principal will kill us!" exclaimed Xavier.

"Dad! You can't send me to that damned school!" Tyler said, extremely offended.

The sheriff shook his head reluctantly. "Now, I'm not sayin' you've gotta go back in there and tell the woman the truth. I'm saying you better get your goddamn work done and prove it. No more slacking- especially you, Addams. I expected more outta you."

Wednesday merely stared at the man.

"And one more goddamn thing," grumbled the sheriff, "no more making out. The last thing I wanna hear about on the one day I'm not chasing a goddamned cursed case is how the two of you-" He said, directly staring at Wednesday and Xavier, "were mackin' on each other in the woods. This isn't a home for school children, so it's time for you to grow the hell up and make something useful of yourselves- and not for making children."

Xavier's jaw dropped in shock.

Wednesday stood up and began to walk upstairs before Xavier walked after her.

"Hey," Xavier said, gently nudging her arm as she made her way up the stairs, "don't take what he said to heart--"

Wednesday ignored his opinion. "He isn't wrong, Xavier. We have more important things that need our attention."

"Yeah, I know," Xavier said as he took her hand once they made it to the top of the stairs, "but that doesn't mean we can't find time for us. We can always find a way to make time."

"Not right now," Wednesday replied immediately. "I have clearly shown you what I think of you, so you don't need to continue chasing me. We have more important things in our lives than romance at the moment."

Xavier heaved out a heavy sigh. "Wednesday, please, don't just stop because he said--" 

"I care about you, Xavier. That is all that matters in that department. There are others' lives at stake if we do not help them. They do not know what is coming, but we do," chided Wednesday.

Xavier stopped for a moment and pulled her into his chest and kissed the top of her head. "I love that you care about them, Wednesday, but all I'm asking you is to not forget about us. I don't wanna ruin what we've started."

"This isn't about us, Xavier, it is about--" Wednesday disagreed.

Xavier nodded as he kept his arms around her. "I know. I'm just saying is if you need help, ask for it. I'm more than willing to help," he said as his lips trailed her scalp.

"What is this?" asked Wednesday.

"What is what?" asked Xavier.

"What is this?" Wednesday asked again as she pulled back and pointed in between her and Xavier.

Xavier nervously scratched the back of his head with a small smile as he said, "Uh-- well, you know-- I'd be more than thrilled to be called your boyfriend--"

"We do not know each other that well," Wednesday replied.

"Oh, that is so not fair. What other guy are you better friends with than you are with me? James McCellan? Zachary Chapman?" Xavier asked bitterly.

"You are not understanding what I am saying," Wednesday quietly commented under her breath. 

"I thought you were giving me a chance, Wednesday. Please, just try to explain it. I don't wanna argue," Xavier calmly replied as he played with the ends of her braids.

"You haven't met my family. I can assure you, you will not want anything to do with me once you do," Wednesday replied, deadpan.

Xavier let out a slight chuckle as he pulled her in by the waist. "That's where you're wrong, Wednesday. I'll always want something to do with you."

"You sound like a demonic stalker who wants to add my skull to a collection," Wednesday retorted.

Xavier rolled his eyes with a sly grin. "Yeah, like I'd ever have to stalk you to get you to spend time with me."

"No, I already have a stalker like that," Wednesday replied.

"Huh?" asked Xavier.

"Cruel joke," Wednesday lied. "I will see you later. I have some studying to do."

"Studying?" asked Xavier. "We're not in school anymore."

"I will explain later. Goodnight, Xavier," said Wednesday.

"Night, Wednesday. I'll see you in the morning," replied Xavier.