13. Fighting Over Her

Wednesday was once again back at Mila's house, but this time, Mila's brother, Zachary, was hanging around her much more.

He had some sort of... intense fascination surrounding her.

"Gosh, I can't believe you're going on another date with James. I don't understand why you're still giving him a chance," Zachary muttered.

Wednesday glared at the boy. "I do not understand why you are so bothered. You sound like a woodpecker utterly obsessed with the exact same tree. Eventually, that tree will die, and you will have nowhere to go back to. Then you will also die. I will find that day deliciously relieving."

Zachary rolled his eyes. "You're acting like I'm obsessed with him. I just know anyone deserves better than the way he treats girls."

Wednesday stared back at him. "You are obsessed with him. Rather, you are obsessed with the fact that I am going on a date with him, for the second week in a row."

"Xavier's coming over! Do you guys wanna come to lunch with us?!" Mila asked with passion as she walked into the living room.

Wednesday looked up at the glowing blonde. "I have a date with James tonight and have no compulsion to go out for a meal beforehand."

"Is this because of the fight you and Xavier had?! You're like his little sister, Wednesday! He's only trying to look out for you!" Mila explained.

This girl is going to drive me to poke my eyes out with needles in front of the entire school Wednesday thought to herself. 

If she mentions Xavier calling me his sister again, I might as well pour nightshade poisoning into her La Croix.

Wednesday looked at Mila, wondering how to respond in a way that would not reveal her suppressed anger. "I am not angry with Xavier, Mila. I simply do not want to go out for lunch."

Zachary rolled his eyes. "C'mon, Wednesday. They want us to go. It won't kill you going out for lunch."

Not if I kill you and Mila first the outcast thought.

"I am not going," Wednesday snapped back.

A knock came from the front door and Mila ran to get it. "Hey," a giddy voice said. 

Wednesday could recognize that voice anywhere. 

Piercing green eyes, shaggy brown hair, and a laugh that could light up a room. Xavier.

"Zach and Wednesday are coming to lunch with us! I already called for a reservation at Crackstone's Cafe!" Mila told her boyfriend.

Wednesday overheard the girl and looked at Zachary. "Why are we going to a cafe named after a demon?"

Zach rolled his eyes as a chuckle slipped out of his mouth. "Crackstone isn't a demon. He was a pilgrim. The founder of Jericho, actually."

"I am aware," Wednesday growled back.

As soon as Xavier and Mila walked into the living room, Xavier's eyes immediately flickered from Wednesday to Zachary, and back and forth again.

A bright smile curled onto Mila's lips. "Are you guys ready to go?!"

Zachary nodded and Wednesday simply stared.

The four friends walked to Crackstone's Cafe, and Wednesday regretted going as soon as she got to the restaurant. There was no doubt about it, going on a sort-of double date with Xavier and Mila was going to go exceptionally wrong.

...

After lunch, Mila and Xavier decided to go shopping. It did annoy Wednesday a little because that's exactly what he used to beg her to do.