36. A Real Beginning

"Hey, Wednesday, you ready to head out?" Xavier asked as he anxiously fiddled with his fingers.

Wednesday regretfully glanced over at the angsty teenage boy. "Yes."

Enid watched in horror as Wednesday walked in sync with Xavier. She couldn't not have feelings for Xavier. She couldn't not love him. They were meant to be.

"Wednesday, wait!" Enid squealed.

Wednesday glanced questionably over at Xavier and told him, "I need to talk to Enid."

Xavier nodded. "We can call off the date if you need to-"

"No," Wednesday interrupted. "It will not take that much time."

As soon as Wednesday made her way over to Enid, Enid took her wrist and pulled her further away from Xavier. "Wednesday, what are you doing?! If you don't love him, why are you still going out with him?!"

"Enid, you are my best friend, but my reasons for accepting Xavier's request don't concern you. I will see you when we come back," Wednesday quickly replied before walking back over to Xavier.

Enid's jaw dropped as she watched her best friend go back to the boy she "didn't love." The werewolf couldn't bare it. "WEDNESDAY!" She shouted.

Xavier turned around and glanced from Wednesday to Enid. "Uh-- is everything okay?"

"Yes," Wednesday replied, ignoring Enid. "Enid is just anxious."

Xavier frowned. "Why?"

"Because she doesn't understand how I express my thoughts-- and feelings," Wednesday replied.

"Oh," Xavier sighed. "She's probably just worried about your safety or something."

Wednesday stared ahead as they walked side by side. "No. She's worried about something else, but it doesn't matter. I think she will be fine by tonight."

"So," Xavier said with a small smile, "how have you liked living with Mr. Banging Pots Every Morning so far?"

Wednesday hesitantly glanced up at the boy. "It's better than living on the run. My uncle has had to do it thousands of times before, and from his stories, it seems rather exhausting."

"Your-- Your Uncle," Xavier murmured, "Didn't you say something about him visiting Nevermore last semester or something?"

Wednesday nodded. "He saved Thing's life when Laurel Gates tried to murder him."

"Goddamn. She was vicious," Xavier replied. "I'm glad she's not a threat anymore..."

Wednesday looked up at Xavier, directly into his eyes. "I know you believe Tyler is still a threat, Xavier--"

"I just don't get how you trusted him so easily again- I mean the dude literally tried to kill you and lied to you the entire time you knew him," Xavier said bitterly.

"We don't have another choice," Wednesday replied.

"There's always another choice, Wednesday," replied Xavier.

"Yes, and by choosing not to go on the run, we can stay in Jericho, close to the threat, and stop the Chapman's father and Timothy Anderson," Wednesday argued.

Xavier sighed. "I hate arguing with you."

"I don't find it amusing either," Wednesday agreed.

Xavier stopped walking for a second and hesitantly took Wednesday's hand into his own. "Can we just spend time together? I mean, I know everything's crazy and all right now, but we should be able to talk about something other than the demonic dicks of Jericho."