Part 10

Next Morning

You took the last sip of your coffee just as the elevator doors opened to the band's floor. Smiling as you checked your wristwatch, seeing you still had fifteen minutes to prepare before Paul would arrive for day two of interviews and meetings. You let out a deep breath, thankful that the day was starting off on a positive note, though the worry of Gene still trying to pressure you into a date was in the back of your mind. Throwing the cup in the trash, you continued down the hallway to the singer's office, smiling and nodding at the other assistants as you passed them.

You took the time to look around the area, knowing it would probably be the only chance you would have to find the break room and bathrooms before the guitarist had you off and running. The sound of shouting and banging pulled your attention to the end of the hall. Seeing your coworkers standing from their desk as Gene came storming out of Paul's office slamming the door behind him.

"Morning, Mr. Simmons," You said

"It's Gene, and fair warning your boss is being unreasonable, so good luck." Gene replied, walking toward another woman waiting with a pad of paper

"Great, they already pissed him off, and it's not even nine." you said with a deep sigh.

You stood outside the door listening to Paul and Doc screaming back and forth at each other, unable to clearly make out the conversation. Taking a seat on the couch outside the singer's office, trying to gather up the courage to walk into the office.

--------------------------------------------------

(Paul POV)

"I GAVE YOU THREE HOURS NOTICE!!! YOU, MR. PERFECTIONIST NEVER MISS A MEETING JUST BLEW THIS OFF!" DOC YELLED

"THERE WAS A FAMILY SITUATION, THIS BAND WILL NEVER COME BEFORE EVAN. YOU'VE KNOWN THIS SINCE YOU WERE HIRED AND HE WAS BARELY THREE. I ALSO REMEMBER TELLING YOU THAT IF THE WOULDNT DO THE GIG AFTER THE 6TH THEN IT WASN'T HAPPENING!" Paul shouted.

Paul rolled the sleeves of his black polka dotted dress shirt up to his elbow from his desk chair. He watched Doc pace in front of him, mumbling about the singer being an unreasonable prick. After two hours on the phone with his ex-wife the night before over Evan's life choices, on top of the nasty messages he had received from his bandmate Paul was ready to make anyone a punching bag with just the use of a wrong word.

"You've been around both Gene and I for a while. Why would you make the brilliant move to side with him and schedule that meeting? You know you can't bully me into anything. What did Eric and Tommy say about it?" The singer asked.

"They are ready to tour Paul! You are the only one delaying it because of your teenage son graduating. Do you know how many bands still tour while their kids hit big milestones in their life? It's high school, you'll be there for the college one and all the weddings and birth of grandkids, but let's just do this." Doc begged.

"GET OUT!" Paul said, standing up

"THIS ISN'T OVER!" Doc replied, standing in front of the singer

Paul grabbed the older man's arm and dragged him toward the office door. You walked into the room, making both men stop in their tracks. The singer felt both the anger build higher inside of him and now embarrassment. It was your second day, and he had been a complete idiot throughout the previous day.

"Um, I didn't know you were already here. I was just following your direction and getting here early. Since my coffee is done, I thought I would just get to work for that party," You stammered..

"DID I TELL YOU TO CLOCK IN EARLY OR GET HERE BEFORE ME SO I DIDN'T HAVE TO WEAR YOUR DRINK BECAUSE YOU CAN'T BE RESPONSIBLE?" Paul asked.

"Paul, back off. You're mad at me and the band. I'm surprised after how you and Gene acted yesterday. She even came back. Y/N I'm sorry about this." Doc said, pulling away from the singer.

"I asked you a question. What did I tell you? If you can't remember something that simple, maybe you aren't meant for me, maybe Eric could use you." the singer said.

Paul watched your eyes dart from the floor, up to Doc, and finally landed on the singer. You glared at him with tear-filled eyes, trying to take calming breaths. He crossed his arms in front of his chest. You wiped the stray tear from your eye and turned on your heels, leaving both men alone again.

"Really dude? If there is something really going on at home, then go take care of it, but you're going to fuck up and lose someone that has a lot of potential." Doc said, shaking head as he walked to the door.

"Oh, a girl cries and you run away? If I would have known that I would have just let you deal with Pam last night, then maybe you would've stopped the ass chewing before I even had my morning coffee." Paul replied, sitting back down.

Doc walked out the door, never responding to the singer's remark, giving the clear signal he wasn't just pissed about the no show meeting. It pissed the older man on how Paul had acted in front of a woman. The band's long manager would take a lot of things, but disrespecting a woman wasn't one of those things on that list. Paul leaned back in his oversized office chair and closed his eyes, taking a few deep breaths. The singer wasn't one to let home and business life intertwine with each other. If there was a family problem, he left it at the door of the office and vice versa.

The broken look you had flashed at the guitarist had hit him differently. Women constantly surrounded him, so emotions never got to Paul, however now he tried to figure out how to make you feel better and the two of you had only been around each other for a day. Why would he already feel protective of you? It was a question that had gnawed at him as Paul laid awake in bed after the final screaming match with Pam. The desk phone rang, making the man jump out of his seat and grabbing his chest. He looked down at the caller i. d and groaned seeing who the call was from.

"Good Morning Heather, what can I help you with?" The singer said into the phone.

Paul leaned back in the office chair and ran a hand through his black hair. He closed his eyes, listening to the woman, and shook his head as he heard the faint sobbing.

"No one leaves the building until we discuss this. I'll be down in ten minutes." Paul said, hanging up the phone.