Part 17

(Paul POV)

The singer shut the door and grinned for a moment, as he ran his fingers through his black hair. He was pleased you had agreed to go on a date with him after a week of Paul dancing around the subject. Paul pulled out his phone and quickly typed a message as he heard the bassist clear his throat, making the guitarist jump slightly and put his device back in his pocket. The singer rolled his eyes as he looked at Gene, seeing the smug grin painted all over his face.

"Why are you here?" Paul asked, as he walked to his desk

"Oh, no you don't, what was that between you and Y/N" Gene asked, as he took a seat across from the singer

"It was me being polite to my assistant. I know you're not used to being nice to people, but some of us like to keep employees happy," the singer replied.

"It looks like she was keeping you happy by the lipstick there on your lips and cheek." the bassist said

Paul felt his eyes bulge out of his head as he raised his hand to wipe his lips. He looked at his hand, seeing the faint shade of red. The singer shook his head and reached across the desk for a tissue to clean his face as Gene continued to laugh at him. Paul glared at his best friend, waiting for the bassist to start in with his comments over the singer sleeping with his employee.

"So again, what brings you by? I need to get out of here. I have plans tonight," Paul said.

"Yeah, I see that. What happened to not fucking the help?" Gene asked.

"It's just a date, Gene, I'm not fucking anyone," The singer replied with a sigh.

"Yet! You don't know how to do anything causally, Stanley! You will get your dick wet and then be stuck to this girl like glue. She will break your heart because she's twenty-two and still trying to experience the world. Thirty years of being with this band, you think you would have picked up some skills on how to deal with women. You're gonna end up looking like a schmuck." the bassist said.

"What the fuck is your problem? You can never just be happy for me at least once in our friendship. I get married, you dog me, have Evan, you ask me why there isnt a second kid yet. Then the divorce you tried to throw a party to get me laid. I don't do things like you do, Gene, and never will. I think with more than my dick. If this only ends with one date, then that's how it's supposed to be. At least I tried to get my feet wet again. I'm about to be all alone in that big house." Paul snapped.

"I'm just trying to look out for my brother! Excuse me," Gene said, as he stood up.

"Why don't you clean up your own life first before you comment on mine? Now get the hell out of here," The singer replied, as he pointed toward the door.

The two men stared at each other for a moment before the bassist slowly turned around and walked toward the door. Gene turned and looked at Paul one more time, rolling his eyes before he walked out, slamming the door behind him. The singer chuckled to himself and reached for his phone again, checking the time and to see if there were any new messages before he stood up from his desk. He scanned through his phone, looking for his son's number, knowing he was going to need the younger man's help to make everything perfect for the night. Paul pulled the phone to his ear and listened as the line rang multiple times before Evan's voice came across the line.

"Hey buddy, I need your help with something. Do you have a couple of hours you can spend with your old man?" Paul asked.