Part 36

(Paul POV)

"You were five when your dad left and you never saw him again? What about your mom?" Paul asked.

"She's pretty abusive. She got with my stepdad when I was eight and they had my younger brother. They pushed me out at sixteen when they found my stash of pills. It took until my sophomore year of college to clean up my act. I've been clean now for three years," you replied

"What about those scars on your arms? Where did those come from?" Paul asked, holding your hand

The singer stared at you in amazement as he had listened to your long tale of your life in Oklahoma before you moved to California for school. It impressed him with your determination and proud that he had chosen you for a partner, even if you were a little young to be forced into parenthood. He thought back to his own son and the young man starting college himself and what the unfriendly world would have in store for Evan. You squeezed Paul's hand, pulling his attention back into the limo.

"This is from years of struggling with mental health and abusive parents. I'm pretty regulated on my meds now. I started seeing a therapist during a freshman year of high school, haven't taken a razor to my arm in probably two years," you said with a sigh.

"Promise me you won't. If you feel like you need to do that, promise me you'll call. You are my life now and the mother of my child. I want you here with me always." Paul replied.

"Everyone leaves Paul. I'm used to it," you said.

Paul grabbed your face, making you look at him in the eye. The tears formed in the older guitarist's eyes as he saw the doubt and worry in your green eyes. The singer pressed his lips against yours, putting both of his hands on either side of your face as he tried to kiss all the pain away. It took a few kisses, but you finally responded to him. But soon you moved your hands to the singer's hair, pulling it gently as the car traveled down the road.

"I love you y/n. Since the moment you spilt coffee on me and tried to wipe it off. Trust me, please, to be the man you need me to be for our son or daughter." Paul whispered

"You have to show me, Paul, not tell me. Everyone says all this bullshit and then one day they aren't here. I just know that my child won't ever grow up to feel like I did. With or without you, I will love my child," you said, wiping the tears away

"Do you love me?" Paul asked

"I don't know yet, Paul. This is all happening so fast that sometimes I feel like I can't breathe. I care about you, but it's a month. Give me time. We have nine months. I don't want to talk about this anymore. I'm tired and hungry," You replied.

The singer let out a deep sigh before turning and looking out the window at the passing scenery as you opened the privacy glass and requested for the driver to stop at the next burger joint on the way to las vegas.