Chapter 23. Emilia

“Emy, Are you sure you’re okay?” Mia asked.
“I don’t know. Going in that mansion again would break me but it doesn’t matter now. My feelings doesn’t matter.”
Mia and Alicia both made a sad face and hugged me.
I was getting ready to go his home.
Last night Alicia and Mia told me about my past. They said that I know him because he was my secret lover. Secret because I didn’t tell anyone about him except for my Friends. Not even my parents. They said I first met him when he returned from Italy and was out in the park for a walk. And I bumped into him. And that we both fell in love after that.
It all sounded so crazy.
While they were telling me all this I didn’t feel or remember anything about him. When I ask them why didn’t they tell me about Hadrian before they said that they thought I remembered him and did not want to talk about him because he left for Italy again. And i was mad at him.
God, this is so ridiculous.
EVENING.
We arrived at the mansion.
My heart felt so heavy while I was going inside.
“Good evening, Emilia.” His mom said as she hugged me.
“Good evening, auntie.” I said.
We sat in the living room.
“Emilia, after what happened last time, I’ll never be able to thank you enough for agreeing to this marriage.” Uncle Martin said.
“You don’t have to thank me uncle. It’s my honor to obey my elders.” I said while smiling.
"You've raised a precious daughter." he said to dad.
Dad smiled.
Dad was talking to uncle Martin and mom was talking to Auntie Agnes. I was left alone.
I excused myself to go and get some fresh air.
I was observing everything. I’ve been here before but I’ve never saw these cute pictures hanging on the walls.
Little Vincent and Little Hadrian playing together. So wholesome.
It was then when I realized he doesn’t smile that much now. Just a stupid smirk.
I was wandering around when the maid came to tell me that my mom is calling for me.
I got back in the living room.
“Hadrian will be here. Wait Just a few minutes”. Auntie Agnes said.
“He doesn’t live here?” I asked surprised.
“Sometimes he do. He has his own villa. He lives there.”
Oh… so he doesn’t live with his family..
I was lost in thought when he came inside.
He took off his coat and the maid took it. Our eyes met.
He greet me with his devilish grin.
He greet every one else and then he went to his room.
Cold attitude.
When the dinner table was being settled I felt like I should go and help Auntie Agnes.
“There is no need, Emilia. You don’t have to do this.”
“It’s okay, Auntie.” I said while going in the kitchen to take plates to the table.
When the dinner was served everyone sat except for Vincent.
Hadrian sat across from me.
“How’s your business going?” Uncle Martin asked Hadrian.
“Great. The way it should be.” He said.
“Wait, wasn’t he in Military?” My dad asked.
“He was. He resigned and started his own business.” Uncle Martin said.
“Impressive.” My dad said while raising his eyebrows.
“So, I hope you two don’t have any problem to keep this family going.” Uncle Martin said.
I almost choked. He glanced at me. O God, that smirk again.
“No I don’t mind this at all.” He said with a hint of devilish grin in his eyes.
Of course you don’t. You’d be so much happy after all. I hate you.
“And you Emilia, Sweetie?” Dad asked.
“No, I respect your decision.” I lied.
Oh God, I want some fresh air.
The dinner comes to an end. I didn’t eat much. My steak was cold. I lost my appetite when they mentioned the marriage.
I was feeling so suffocated.
We were again in the living room. He was again gone somewhere.
I was lost in thought when he came. He was coming down the stairs. Hands in pockets. Eyes on me. I looked away. He sat on the couch.
“We’ve decided the date. It’s next month. Any issue?” Uncle Martin asked.
Oh God. That’s too early.
“It’s Perfect.” He said.
I glare at him. I just hate you so much. I don’t even know how I’d be able to live with him without hating him.
I nod.
It was hard to breath. I needed some fresh air so I excused myself.
I stood up. His eyes following me. I got out of there. And into the garden where the engagement was held.
I can still smell the flowers that were used for decoration, even though they weren’t there.
It’s funny how I was engaged to Vincent a few days ago and now I’m going to be his brother’s bride. A tear rolled down my cheek but I quickly wipe it away. It was chilly outside.
He must be happy with her. What her name was? Oh yeah… Rachel. His first love.
I was just about to go inside when I saw him getting out of the car.
Vincent.
Our eyes locked. He was coming towards me. I remain my posture.
He stopped when were we just a few steps away from each other.
There was silence between us. No one spoke anything.
“I’m going to France, that way you don’t have to see me.” He finally said while looking away.
My heart ache.
“She lives there?” I asked.
He nodded.
I smiled sadly.
“But you have to come at my wedding… as a friend.” I said.
“And as my brother.” Hadrian said while walking towards us.
He smiled to Hadrian.
“If you had told me about her name and that it was her, I would never had to get close to her. But seems like fate was with you. You got her back.”
I was confused.
He looked back at me.
“That day, after you left. He told me about your past. I didn’t knew that you were that Emilia, he used to talk about all the time when we were young. I hope you got your memories back. And I can guarantee you that he’ll love you more than any other man.” He said.
“I should go.” He said.
And after one look at me. He left.
I look at Hadrian and he was already staring at me.
He took a step towards me. And another. And another. Until we were just one step away from each other. I didn’t move. I don’t want him to think that I’m scared of him.
With a deep husky voice he said, “Do you still think you’re his, Mia cara?” with his devilish grin.
I gulped and looked away.
I was embarrassed.
“Even if we had any connection in the past, it’s not anymore. I don’t feel anything for you now.” I said.
He closed his eyes tightly.
Oh shit.
I shouldn’t have said that.
He opened his eyes. His eyes looks dark. They were emerald green but were darker in the moment then any other black eyes.
He lean in to whisper in my ear. His breath tickling my neck.
“I don’t care if you forgot me. I still want you and I hate the idea of anyone else having you.”
Chills runs down my spine as a result of his words.
“Why me?” I asked with a shaky breath.
“Why anyone else when you exist?” he closed the distance between us.
“You’ll never be the hero of my story.”
“Then what am I in your story?”
“A Villain”
He smirked.
“But what are villains, sweetheart, if not misunderstood heroes?”
Misunderstood hero? He’s not wrong actually. But it can’t change the fact that I hate him.
It was becoming hard to breathe with him being this close to me. My heart was beating so loud in my chest that he could probably hear my heart beat.
He noticed it.
He slowly held my wrist. I flinched. He place his thumb over my pulse. He smirked when he felt my quickened heart beat.
Oh God.
Before he could go any further I yanked my hand away from him and walk as faster as I could to get inside. I could still feel his gaze lingering on me.