Chapter 6

Lisa

"Jen?" I feel like I whispered it but the beauty in front of me stops. "Jennie Kim?"

She turns slowly to face me and I get my first real glimpse of the girl whom I haven't seen in ten years. Here she stands in front of me, no longer a girl but a woman. All the old feelings come rushing back. Why did I ever let her go?

"Lisa." She whispers, turning my bones to liquid.

I smile goofily. "I knew it was you. How are you?" I manage to say.

Suddenly this little girl comes running out of the café and runs straight to Jennie. The little thing is crying like it's the end of the world. Wait, did the little one just call Jennie mum? Jen is a mother?

I'm so surprised by this turn of events that it takes me a moment to realise that I know the next person rushing out the café door.

"It's fine Jisoo, it was a long shot anyway." Jennie says tiredly, kissing her daughter sweetly on the head.

"Hi Jisoo." I say leaning around Jennie slightly and waving.

"Lisa, how are you?" Jisoo says with a smile.

"I'm good. Was just getting some muffins to take to work." It's my turn to take in the snacks, and my crew love midnight food binges.

"I'm sorry but how do you two know each other?" Jennie asks, her brows furrowed in that cute way it always did when she was confused.

"Lisa is a local firefighter. She has come to the school a few times to give fire safety talks. We got talking during the school fire last year and realised that she lives locally."

I can read the shock forming on Jennie's face. Not surprising when this job never ever crossed my mind back then. "You're a firefighter?"

Suddenly I feel like a child in front of her. She has a kid and I'm a loser that can't even commit to a relationship.

"Yeah Jen, for about five years now." I shove my sweaty hands into my pockets to keep from fidgeting too much.

"Wait, do you two know each other?" Jisoo asks. Now it's her turn to be confused.

"We went to high school together." I answer.

"High school huh?" Jisoo says, with a smile starting to form. Oh God, what has Jennie said about me over the years? Is she even out? If she is, am I referred to as the asshole that left her? I just wanted her to have a good life, please tell me that she's had a good life.

Before Jisoo can make any more comments, Jennie passes the little girl to Jisoo. "I'm going to be late. I'll see you later baby girl. Behave for Auntie Jisoo yeah."

And with that, she is off.