Chapter 61

Lisa

When we arrived on site, my sole focus was on my job. We got our orders and went to work. The fire was spreading through the dry wooded parklands rapidly. Police had been called to evacuate the bordering houses; my street was included in the evacuation.

I was so glad that Jennie and Ella were already safe at Jisoo's house. That helped me focus on my job knowing that I didn't have to worry about them.

This was the biggest operation that I'd ever worked on. More stations were called in to help and even though there were so many new people, we all flowed seamlessly around each other, the white helmets professionally leading us.

The smoke was thick from the factory fire and made tackling the parkland fire more difficult. I was working on a fire break on the fourth day since the factory fire broke out. My team was tired but still going strong as we cut a path through the parklands. Then the call came that the fire was coming our way. It was time to get to safety.

We moved off as a team but the thick, and strong smoke overtook us quicker than expected. I couldn't see my team in front of me, it was what I would think being caught in an avalanche or sand storm is like.

Out training kicked in, we trained for this, moving around blind was practically normal for us. When we set out for our destination in the trees, we took a specific path, one that we would have to take in a situation like this.

I knew the route even though I couldn't see it. Just follow the path and hope to meet up with the rest of the team on the other side.

At least I was at the back of the group, so I don't have to worry about anyone not following behind. I just need to keep going.

The roaring sound of fire can be heard getting closer through my limited view. I keep moving, testing my footing but picking up my pace as fast as I dare.

Jennie, I will get home to you, then I never plan on leaving you.

Panic wants to take over as I continue to make my way through what feels like a never-ending haze. I focus on keeping my breathing even, not wasting limited oxygen. Keep moving, I kept telling myself.

I manage to make it a few more feet when I hear a crack, loud above all the other noises. Looking around my surroundings is instinctual but visibility is still practically nothing. I take another step forward and find myself suddenly hit from behind. Buckling to the ground, a pain shoots through my one foot. Shit. Shifting around I bite down the pain to move what feels like a thick log off my foot.

Keep breathing steadily, focus Lisa. I just have to keep reminding myself over and over again.

While reaching for something to help me stand up, I quickly realise that it will not be possible. The pain is too intense to stand on, and my breathing has already quicken, I need to find another way to get out of here.

I start crawling, in what I hope is the right direction. Praying that I can get to safety before the fire reaches me.