Chapter 40

Jennie

With Ella in bed, Lisa and I sit down to talk.

"Right, if we're going to be sharing a bed and sharing the odd steamy kiss." Lisa says. I roll my eyes and swat at her. We've spent one night in bed together and technically shared two kisses, and she has it as a permanent arrangement. She laughs and puts her arms up to protect herself half-heartedly. "Okay, Jennie Kim, will you do me the honour of going on two first dates with me?"

I pause as I try to understand what she's asking. She's serious but has her ever-present smile on her face. My mind was still trying to process her making the sleeping arrangements permanent when she sends a brain teaser my way.

"What do you mean two? How can you have two first dates? Doesn't one negate the other?"

She chuckles softly. "Well, I figure that we can have one date with Ella and another date for just the two of us."

"Huh." I can see her logic and it's got me thinking quickly about Ella and my future. Is there a place for her in our lives? If these living arrangements are anything to go by, then yes.

"Is that a good 'huh' or a how can I get out of this house and away from this crazy woman type of 'huh'?"

"I'm leaning more towards good, although I would agree to you being a crazy woman." I say slowly. My teenage self, totally urging me to give her another chance now that we don't have any distance restrictions.

Laughing she pulls me into her arms, while placing a sloppy kiss on my cheek.

"So just to confirm, we're going on two first dates?" she asks, after I wipe my face.

"Ah hell, I must be crazy as well. Yes, I'll go on two first dates with you."

"YES!!" She yells, while fist pumping the air.

"Shhh." I laugh, "You'll wake Ella up."

"Shit, sorry." She whispers. We both pause to see if there is any reaction from upstairs. After a minute of silence, we breathe a sigh of relief. "Thank you for giving me a chance."

We look into each other's eyes, with a seriousness falling over us. "Thank you for asking." And I find that I am glad she's asked me on a date.