Chapter 28

Jennie

"How was work?" Lisa asks, pottering about in the kitchen.

I'd just tucked Ella in bed after picking her up from Jisoo's on my way home. It was getting to be a bit of a pain having to pick Ella up just to put her straight to bed when we got home. Jisoo was helping me out massively by taking care of her for me, and on the days that I worked later, she'd feed Ella as well. All the while refusing to take money from me. At least when I stayed at Jisoo's, I'd have a little time with Ella before her bedtime. Now that time is spent in the car. I just wish there was a way to spend more time with my daughter and not have to work.

"It was work." I say sitting down heavily at the small square table. The kitchen wasn't big by any means but it was gorgeous. The cabinets were white and the counter top is in a light wood shade, it would seem dull and bland if not for the tiles on the wall. Bright yellow and soft grey tiles mixed in with the white, adds a much needed colour. It all just feels clean and inviting to cook in.

"Not enjoying it there?" she asks, while looking over her shoulder before going back to plating food on two plates. The smell has my mouth watering. Moving in with Lisa is definitely worth it, just for her cooking alone. The only time that I seem to cook these days, is if she's on night shifts. It was a bit awkward during the first week but it's quickly become a norm for the both of us.

"I'm grateful that they were able to rush my transfer but this place isn't run, half as well as my last place."

"Incompetent managers or staff?" she asks, while placing a plate down in front of me before sitting down herself. Spaghetti bolognese with a few pieces of garlic bread. I tuck straight in.

"Both to be honest." I say after swallowing a few mouthfuls of spaghetti. "There are a few managers trying but the staff is very much, ah who cares, mentality. They just don't seem to have pride in their work and it makes it difficult to work there as a result. My last place was amazing, they took the time to train us, made it a fun environment. It's honestly shocking to think that they are the same franchise."

"I'm sorry that you've got to work with people like that, they just ruin it for everyone. If they don't like their job then they should do something about it, and don't ruin it for everyone else. Every job is worth doing."

"The typical response is that, this is not their forever job, so why bother."

"I'd fire the lot of them, personally. Would you go for a manager position if one became available?"

Before I would have said no. It just wasn't feasible where I was looking after Ella on my own. Now that I have Jisoo to babysit for me, I can take the extra hours. The managers tend to work longer shifts and are there to open and close the store. I'm already up at those hours anyway.

"Before it wasn't really possible but now, I think I would."