Chapter 63

Jennie

In the quiet of the night, I head to the kitchen as silently as possible. Standing at the kitchen sink, I pour myself a glass of water and look out of the window. In the darkness, I use my imagination to picture the view.

Thinking about how different the view was only three weeks ago. Thankfully it piped down last week, just in time for the kids to finish school for the holidays.

Arms encircle my waist from behind, while warm lips nuzzle my neck before a head is rested on my shoulder.

"Are you coming back to bed, my love?" Lisa's sleepy voice says near my ear.

I take a moment just enjoying being in her arms. "I'll be coming right up. Just needed a drink."

As I stand there, with her hand which was placed loosely on my stomach moves under my top. Circling my belly button, I lean back against her, biting my lip to stop the moan from escaping. Taking a deep breath, I manage to speak. "You do know that you're currently stopping me from heading back to bed."

I can hear the smile in her voice. "Am I? Does that mean you want me to stop?" Her hand starts to dip under the band of my pyjama bottoms.

"Mmm... what?"

She chuckles softly before pulling away completely. I can't help but whimper.

"Stop worrying about what happened out there. I'm here, I'm safe, we're all safe." She says while holding her hand out to me.

"You scared the shit out of me." I admit.

"I scared the shit out of myself. I made you a promise though that I would come back to you. I don't break my promises. A bad foot definitely won't stop me. You and Ella were my focus. You brought me home. You made this a home."

She motions to her hand again and this time I grab it. With a tug, I'm pulled into her arms.

"I love you. I love you so damn much." She says softly in my ear.

"I love you too."

"That's like music to my ears. I'm not saying we lock down anything specific now but do you see a future for us?"

It's a big question and it's one that I've avoided answering before. Now the thought doesn't scare me as much. "Yes."

Suddenly I'm being pulled towards the stairs. "What's going on?"

"I'm going to show you how happy you've just made me." She says cheekily.

When the words register, it becomes a race to the bedroom. I have the upper hand with Lisa being injured.

What she calls a bad foot, is really one with multiple broken bones in the foot and ankle area, meaning that she's off work for the foreseeable future. Giving us plenty of time to rekindle our love.