Chapter 14

Jennie

"What are you laughing at?" I ask with a smile, as Ella chuckles happily in my arms. We'd popped into the local corner shop to get some food. Jisoo had taken to cooking me and Ella meals and refused to take money off me for rent, so I made sure to buy food for the house whenever I could.

I try to continue looking for the next item on my list but the sound of Ella laughing has me curious.

Something behind me has to be entertaining her.

"What is it, Ella?" I ask spinning around.

My breath catches in my throat. Lisa. A soft smile forms on my lips as Lisa pretends to be engrossed in the tin of peas in her hand. She is such a bad actor.

"Lisa?"

She turns around as if surprised. "Oh Jennie, I didn't see you there." She exclaims, with a glint in her eye that takes me straight back to my youth.

"Yeah right." I chuckle nervously. She smiles that half smile that always made my knees weak. I'd be lying if I said that it didn't still have some potency. Reminding myself that at nearly twenty-eight and with a child, I need to stop acting like a teenager.

"Lili." Ella says, totally surprising me.

Lisa reacts, instantly charming my daughter. "Hello Ella. Are you and your mummy shopping?"

"We get sweeties." She says cheerfully.

"Whoa, no we don't missy." I jump in. "Where did that come from?"

"She's a smart kid." Lisa laughs. "You've got to try or you won't get anything. High five Ella." She says holding her hand up. Ella throws her hand at Lisa's.

"Yes." Lisa chuckles.

I remember the first time she held my hand.