Chapter 9

Jennie – 12 years ago

"Come on Jennie, it's your turn." George says.

I look up from my revision notes and take in the scene around me. Our afternoon exam is starting soon, so the school have allowed us to be in the canteen early. I was using the last few moments to go over my revision notes but my friends seem to have decided to play a game instead of studying.

"I want to revise." I say holding up my notes.

"Oh, come on, one spin and we'll leave you alone."

Looking at the table, I realise that there is a bottle in prime position. Have they really been playing spin the bottle while I sat with my back to the table?

"I'm good, thanks."

"Just one spin. Come on, come on, come on, cooome ooonn. I can do this all day. Come on."

"Fine." I laugh. George is annoying but in a lovable way. "Okay, one spin and that's all."

The group cheers. "The bottle is all yours." He says with a sweep of his arm.

Standing up I reach for the bottle, giving it a lazy twist. It completes one full rotation before slowly stopping in front of Lisa. What happens now when it lands on another girl? The crowd ooh's as Lisa jumps up from her seat and comes to stand across the table from me. We stand there facing each other, Lisa gently cups my cheek.

Together we lean in, puckering my lips slightly and then our lips touch.

Moments ago, my brain was screaming that you don't have to do this. You could ask for a new spin. Then her hand was on my face and my racing heart seemed to calm. Lisa's soft delicate hand was warm and comforting. When her lips touched mine, my brain purred. It was like I could stay in this moment forever. What felt like hours but was really only seconds when we pulled apart. With our eyes locking as we did. Did she feel that too? We were in our own little bubble but that was popped by the sounds of our friends' catcalls.

"Come on, you two can do better than that." George whines.

Was he not watching the same kiss because my whole body felt on fire?

"Shut it George, let her revise. She at least will pass this exam, unlike you." Lisa says shutting George down with a smirk.

The ribbing continues between the group, so I sit back down with my back to the group again. Insulting each other is normal behaviour, so I'm able to tune them out. What I can't tune out though is that kiss. What did it mean?

I've never expected to feel like that with a kiss, especially from one that was barely more than a peck. Peeking over my shoulder, I meet Lisa's eyes. We share a smile before someone calls Lisa's attention away. I turn back to my notes with a flutter in my tummy that has nothing to do with my exam nerves.