Chapter 55

Lisa

The night started off quietly, with my team and I just going about our night shift. My mind still taken up with the night I just had. Just the thought has a gentle throb start.

Then we get the call of the factory fire. Another station is the first to respond while we gather around the television to watch the news report. Knowing that it's only a matter of time before we're called in to help. I grab my phone out of my locker and ring Jennie. That factory may not be our territory but it was close to our house, the house that Jennie and Ella were currently in.

"Hey." Jennie answers quickly.

"Hey, are you watching the news?" I ask, while keeping one eye on the television.

"Yeah, you're not out there, are you?"

"Not yet, it's not our territory but we're just waiting for the call to help out."

"Oh."

I don't know if I planned to say this all along but it just comes out. Feeling this intense need to protect the two of them.

"Look, I want you and Ella to go stay with Jisoo for a few days. This is too close to home."

"Yeah, it's starting to look a little foggy outside." She says.

That type of fire will spread its smoke far and it will leave a potent smell. But what worries me most is that what separates my house from the factory is a wooded area. The parkland behind my house while it is nice to walk in occasionally, it will have been affected with this recent dry weather that we've had. If the fire decides to head in that direction, then there won't be much to stop it heading towards our house. Better to get them to safety now rather than later.

"I was afraid of that. Close all the windows, pack a bag and get away from there. I don't want the two of you exposed to the smoke."

Ella's just getting to a good place, what will seeing the smoke in the neighbourhood do to her. No, she's safer away from there.

"Okay, I'll call Jisoo now."

The alarm for a call rings through the fire house and the guys all jump to action.

"And there's the call." I mumble to myself.

"Jen, I'll call when I can to check on you both. Stay safe, I love you, I love you both." I say automatically, not registering until later that it is the first time I've said that to her in a decade.

There's no doubt in my mind that I'm in love with this version of Jennie Kim, maybe even more than I was with the teenage version.