Chapter 64

Jennie

I'm sitting with Jisoo on a bench as Lisa, Hae-in and the kids play in the park. The day had taken a vastly different turn of events when Lisa said that she had made plans for us. After breakfast, we got dressed up and, in the car, with me driving as Lisa still hasn't been given the doctor's clearance to drive just yet.

Lisa refused to tell me more than directions to our location but the closer we got, the brown signs started to give the game away.

The zoo carpark was filling up as we were directed to a space. Lisa had been checking her phone regularly as we got closer to the zoo and just smiled when I asked who she was messaging. She has another secret up her sleeve, I thought. That proved true only moments later when Ella spotted the family waiting on the side for us.

"Surprise! All our work schedules worked out, so we thought we'd have a nice big family day out." Jisoo said, while giving us all a big hug.

Now after traipsing around most of the zoo, we'd stopped to have a late lunch and let the kids wear off a load of steam in the play area.

It's not long before Lisa comes to sit down next to me, with a slight limp present that she tried to hide, while Jisoo excuses herself to help Hae-in with the kids. I knew this was too much walking for her to do on her bad foot but she's stubborn and doesn't like to sit still for too long.

When I got the call to inform me that she'd been injured on the job, I felt sick to the stomach. Then Lisa spoke on the line and I broke down crying in relief at hearing her voice. She's broken her foot but otherwise was in good spirits. She was quick to quell my worrying and check that Ella and I were fine.

The past three weeks, we'd been back in the house together, living as an official couple. Lisa was home, wearing a boot to help her get around. We'd easily slipped into the family dynamic that I'd always wanted.

Watching Lisa and Ella together always made my heart melt. To think that I'd nearly denied Ella this opportunity of a family.

Talking of my daughter, she comes running over, straight into Lisa's arms.

"Lili, you my dada?" Ella asks.

Lisa looks to me with widen eyes before explaining that boys become daddies while girls become mummies. I suppose that I should have expected this conversation to come up at some point but Ella's only two years old. Shouldn't this be a conversation that happens later in life?

"But that mummy..." Ella says pointing to me, all confused.

I gather her in my arms. "You're right, I am your mummy, Ella. You're lucky though. Instead of having a daddy you get to have two mummies."

"Two mummies?" a little furrow was between her eyebrows.

"Yes, would you like Lisa to be your other mummy?"

Ella smiles brightly. "Yes, she's nice."

I laugh and hear Lisa hiccup a laugh next to me. When I look to see her reaction, I find her in tears, looking at me with so much love.

"I think mummy Lili needs a hug, Ella." I say.

Ella jumps over to Lisa and tackles her in a big hug. Lisa closes her eyes and holds on tight for a moment before kissing Ella on the head.

"Mummy Lili cry." Ella says, while touching a tear running down Lisa's cheek.

"Because I'm happy, Ella baby." She says with a smile.

"Are you sure?" she asks me.

I nod, "Of this, definitely. Are you okay with this?"

To answer, she kisses me full on the lips. Ella giggles in Lisa's arms and says "Eww...."

"Eww?" Lisa laughs, before blowing a raspberry on Ella's cheek.

I slip my arm around Lisa and rest my head on her shoulder, totally enjoying this happy moment.