Chapter 23: That deepest desire from so long ago (pt 4)

Nightmare watches as they seem to finally acknowledge the rest of them. Creation finally turns to them with a sad expression, regret filling them as they must endanger the AUs Rewrite loves so much. How could they save their Stars if they can't do anything? Creation is only a soul piece, they can't fight. They are meant to protect, love, and create. Never to hurt the creations they cherish. They can't do this alone. They need a champion. They need a hero to fight for them. How they long for one, one to lead them back into the peace that once was there. How could they let Bani do this? If only Rewrite had listened to them. He needed to let Creation back in. If they wanted to win the fight and finally kill Bani, Rewrite had to let him in. So why didn't Ink do that? Why doesn't Ink want to acknowledge this part of himself? Creation is no longer something to be forgotten, Ink must remember this side of him. How could he not? Creation grits their teeth, careful not to fall back into being a fox. They have a second chance and will not let it go to waste.

Creation turns back to the statues with a faraway look in their eyes. "I wish I lived in the present, with the gift of our past mistakes."

Rewrite is so lucky. To live with the memories of each rewrite. To learn and grow from his mistakes, and to become a better person. To grow into the best version of himself every time. Creation lays a hand over Ink's cheek with a sad expression, even in ink, Rewrite looks so tired. Creation wonders if he was always so worried about the next rewrite. Is that why Rewrite always hated getting too attached to anyone? Other than those three? They are sorry for not being able to fix that for Rewrite. But the future keeps luring in like a pack of snakes. Stars above, Creation hopes that this is the end of it. After this, Rewrite will get the ending he wishes for. The one that Swap couldn't give him. Creation looks back at the statue of Dream, what a playful spirit.

They remember fighting for so long with Rewrite against the creators that wanted to pull Dream and Nightmare away from every Multiverse. Such a small child. Such big shoes to fill. Creation nuzzles against him, he will always cherish the small child they fought for and won. No, they didn't create DreamTale, but they now are a co-creator of Rewrite!DreamTale. The children are now all theirs. No more sharing with kitsunes. No more pain for their toys. They would never play with them as other creators have played with them. The toys will finally be on their own to write and play.

Creation kneels in front of Blue, cupping his face before hugging the statue. "Your sweet little eyes, your little smile is all I remember." Tears fall from the Creation's eyes once more. All they can see is the small toddler of Blue. They are clinging to him, to Ink. How they raised him to be so good. So kind. So caring. Creation's tears grow into a rage. How could Bani take their Little Star from them? "Those fuzzy memories mess with my temper." Creation slams their hands into the ink and the statues disappear. The others flinch back from the creator, nervous about what they're going to do to them. Creation leans towards them as if they have a secret to share with others. "Justification is killing me, but killing isn't justified." They all watch in awe as Creation shrinks to their height. They're still taller than the rest, but now they aren't towering over everyone. Creation takes Killer's hands into theirs. Killer's cheekbones flush red as Creation leans into his space. The gentle look of worry reminds him of Ink. "What happened to my little star?"

Killer gives them a look and they pull away. Creation knows. They know that Bani took them. Break them and use them to break this haven. This Multiverse. They can't let that happen. But who's their champion? Who can they trust? I'm terrified. Creation looks around, looking at all the faces looking to them for comfort. For them to lead them to safety. They watch as Dust leaves, going through the door with his AU's name. They do nothing to stop him, he's wanted to go home for a while. Maybe he can keep the three safe. Creation turns their attention back to the rest. They think about the circumstances, they can't have one champion. It lingers in my mind. That's death. They take a breath, the revelation that they would have to lead them all into this. The rooms to save their friends. To save Rewrite. To save their home. And the thought keeps on getting bigger.