Run Blue! Run! pt8

Run like a Rebel - The Score

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

As they start to move down the pillar, Yani catches sight of them. He turns his skull in their direction from where he stands. "Ah, I didn't know we had an audience." Blue stiffens, glancing over to where the others are. His sockets widen for a moment before turning his attention back onto Yani. "Is this why you are so determined to win?" Yani smiles as he returns his gaze to Blue. "Do you want to protect them? Is that it?"

"Leave them out of this, Yani. The fight is between the two of us. And the two of us alone."

Yani lunges toward the group, his hand stretched out toward Dream. Dream draws his bow, aiming a shot. Yani slices the arrow before it can land a hit on him. Blue grabs him with his magic before slamming him into the ground, away from the group. He glances at Dream, time seems to slow down as they make eye contact, and Blue's gaze softens with relief before moving to fix on Yani once again. Yani comes back, swinging his sword at Cross this time. Cross blocks and forces Yani away from himself with a grunt and a well-placed kick. Blue hurries to follow Yani as the others stand there stunned. It happened in a matter of seconds, and none of them could even begin to help out or understand what had happened.

Blue kicks Yani away again. "Stay down!" Blue turns to look at the group with hesitant relief. "What the hell are all of you doing over here?!" Blue's huffed-out laughter is drenched in relief. "I thought all of you were goners!"

Dream tears up, wanting nothing more than to jump into his arms. "Blue, you're okay!" He runs over and hugs him tightly. He rubs his skull into the familiar fabric of Blue's scarf. He doesn't know when and he doesn't care how Blue's gotten his armor, but he's relieved. "You're okay!"

Blue smiles down at him before hugging him back. "I'm okay. You're okay," Blue looks at the new addition to Dream with a quirked eyebrow ridge. "And it seems you have wings now." He chuckles before looking at the others. "I'm so glad everyone is okay. I saw the room go down, I wasn't sure if any of you made it out." He looks around before his smile falls. "Where's Ink?"

"Blue-"

"No, I know he turned into that monster, but how did you guys get through?" Blue frowns as he looks around. "You didn't... hurt Ink, did you?"

Cross comes forward with a headshake. "Of course we didn't, Blue," his laugh is humorless, "we wouldn't have stood a chance." Cross beckons Error over, "something else happened... Not the worst outcome, but not the best."

Error comes over with a protective hand over his coat pocket, "Are you sure it's safe to do this here?"

Blue chuffs while nodding. "Yeah, I put our fight on pause for right now." He jerks his thumb over his shoulder to show Yani held to the floor by blue magic. "He ain't gonna fight me until I know what happened and after I make a plan."

Dream looks up at Blue. "You mean when we make a plan, right?"

Blue stares down at him, "No." Dream's wings start to fluff out. "I mean that I'm doing this alone. You already faced, who—Shattered? Hallucination? The two together?"

"How-"

"The asshole likes to monologue." Blue sighs as he rests his hands on Dream's shoulders. "Look, Daydream. That fight probably took a lot out of you-"

"Don't you dare patronize-"

"I'm not. Just shut up for a moment and listen." Blue looks at the others, and then back at Dream. "Something's changed. Something's changed in me. I don't know what. I don't know why, when, or how. Something's different. I'm seeing things I shouldn't, and honestly, I shouldn't be alive right now." He looks over at Cross. "I want to think it's Ink, but some of the stuff I've been doing... Yeah, I should be dust."

Dream doesn't want to acknowledge the large chunk missing in the back of Blue's armor.