Chapter 14 - The Truth Unveiled

We hike up the mountain as Stefan carries Ray over his shoulder

"You okay? Is Ray getting heavy?" Klaus asks Stefan, teasing him, which just makes me roll my eyes as I continue to walk.

I try to ignore them as they continue their bickering.

"I'm fine." Stefan grumbles.

"You sure about that? You know, we've been walking for quite some time now. If you need some water or a little sit-down..."

"You know, I get that we're, uh...we're stuck together, but if we could maybe just skip the chitchat, it'd be great." Stefan snaps.

"So much brooding. Your self-loathing is suffocating you, my friend."

"Maybe it's cause I'm a little tired of hunting werewolves. We've been at it all summer."

"Thanks to our pal Ray, we found ourselves a pack." Klaus says, gesturing to the unconscious Ray.

I mutter out, "Thank goodness for that."

"There" Klaus says pointing to something between the trees.

Stefan vamps ahead of us, making me roll my eyes as he goes to the middle of the camp and dumps Ray onto the ground.

A woman rushes towards them, "Ray! Oh, my God. What's going on? Who are you?"

Klaus and I join Stefan seconds later.

"The important question is who am I" Klaus says. "Please forgive the intrusion. My name is Klaus."

The woman is joined by another man as she says, "You're the hybrid."

Both of their eyes widen at Klaus.

Klaus smiles at that, "You've heard of me. Fantastic."

I sit down on a log as the whole wolf pack joins the woman and man in front of Klaus and Stefan, listening as Klaus monologs.

"It's fascinating. A werewolf who isn't beholden to the moon, a vampire who doesn't burn in the sun. A true hybrid."

As Klaus finished his sentence, Ray sits up waking from his death. This makes me laugh.

"Excellent timing, Ray. Very dramatic. You are going to fit in just fine with him." I say.

Ray looks at me, frightened before looking to Klaus for help, "What's happening to me?" He asks.

"Stefan?" Klaus says.

Stefan takes a step forward as I lay down fully on the log, closing my eyes while enjoying the sun on my skin.

"Are any of you human? Your friend here needs human blood to complete his transition to vampire. If he doesn't get it, he will die." Klaus announces.

No one says anything or moves.