Sleepovers

Liv

Ella returns a scowl on her face.

“Is everything ok?” I ask her, gently.

“I’m fine.” Ella snaps. She storms off into the kitchen, with no explanation whatsoever. JJ raises his eyebrows at me. I shrug.

“What’s up with Ella?” George asks his voice just above a whisper.

“Let’s ask Tessa,” I reply, smiling at Tessa as she walks in. She stares out of the window, a puzzled look on her face, like I don’t matter.

“Are you ok Tessa?” George asks. Tessa snaps her head around to look at us and smiles briefly.

“Yeah,” She replies, “I’m fine.” She flops down on the sofa beside George.

“What’s up with Ella?” I ask.

“Oh, nothing,” Tessa smiles reassuringly, glancing at Dan for a second and then back at me and George. She’s lying. I can always tell when she’s lying. It’s something to do with Dan. Ah, I’m amazing.

George

“Look who I found!” Rylan yells, running in, Ryan on his shoulders. Tessa jumps up and down on the sofa, clapping her hands excitedly.

“RYAN!” She cheers, dancing around the room.

“TESSA!” Ryan screams, jumping off Rylan’s shoulders and landing on her back.

“OH MY GOD HE CAN FLY!” Tessa screams, zooming around the room.

“I’M A FLYING UNICORN!” Ryan screams.

“WEEEEE!” They yell together. JJ, Liv, Dan and I fall on the floor laughing.

“Alright kids,” Diana sighs, walking in holding Beth, with James beside her carrying Ryan’s things for the night, “Calm down both of you.”

“I am not a kid!” Tessa pouts, putting Ryan carefully onto the floor, “I am eighteen years old on Saturday, and that makes me an adult!”

“LET’S HAVE A BIRTHDAY PARTY!” Ryan shrieks. Tessa’s eyes widen happily.

“YEAH!” She agrees, “LET’S HAVE A BIRTHDAY PARTY.”

“How do you live with them?” Jaymi asks, staring down at Tessa and Ryan rolling on the carpet.

“I have no idea.” Diana sighs.

“Not just them!” Jaymi laughs, “You’ve got Brandon and Liv as well!” Liv poses like an angel and JJ laughs.

“Right,” Diana looks at Tessa, “I’m trusting that you are going to be sensible Tessa, and look after my son properly.”

“Yes Miss,” Tessa jumps to her feet and salutes.

“Ryan must be in bed at 9 o’clock at the latest.”

“Yes Miss.” Tessa repeats the salute.

“Don’t feed him jelly babies before he goes to bed.”

Tessa falters at this one. “But…”

“I can take him home!” Diana warns.

“Yes MISS!” Tessa says sharply. This is obviously a treat for her as well as for Ryan.

“George,” Diana turns to me, “I’m trusting you to look after Tessa and make sure she looks after Ryan.” I nod, not saluting like Tessa.

“He spends his life looking after Tessa.” Josh grins. Tessa smiles.