Chapter 13

"You're heading out?" I ask Connor as we are both standing in the locker room. I watch him as he gathers his things. 

"I am," he says, nodding. "That woman from before...you were right. I'm going to the bar, where she'll be. I'm going to give her a chance, just like you said."

"Nice," I say, nodding approvingly. "Well, have fun. I bet you two will really hit it off." I smile, convincingly. I really am happy for him, and glad that he's going out to the bar. 

"Thanks," Connor says, getting his coat. "I think I will." He pauses for a moment, looking briefly unsure. "I'll let you know how it goes," he says. "I'll text you."

"I'll look forward to it," I say, nodding. "Wait, one more thing. A bit of friendly advice from me. Don't tell her that story you always tell."

"What?" he asks, in mock surprise. "The story about the amputee? What's wrong with the amputee story?"

"It really doesn't sound as good as you think," I say, shaking my head. "I mean, it really doesn't. Miss that one out of your rotation this time."

Connor nods, grinning. "I'll make sure to do that," he tells me. "Okay, now I'm going. What about you? When is your shift over?"

"Feels like never," I say, shrugging. "I'm on the night shift, unfortunately. I'll be here  for a few more hours."

"Good luck," Connor says, jokingly. "Okay, now I really do have to go. I don't want to be late. I'll see you tomorrow, with full details of how everything went."

"I can't wait," I say, smiling. "Good luck, hope it goes well." As he leaves, I wave slightly, watching him walk out of the hospital. 

Suddenly, Maggie enters the locker room, a serious look on her face. "Tessa," she says. "You're needed in Treatment 2. Go, go. It's urgent, I think."

"Got it," I say, as Maggie holds open the door for me. I wait for a moment before telling her, "You know, I went for lunch with Connor today?"

"Really?" she asks me, seeming surprised. "Wow. I guess that the two of you really are on good terms. I didn't expect that to last." She nudges me. "Okay, so what's going on with you two, then? Back together? Rekindling things? What is it?"

"Nothing," I say, shaking my head. "Maggie, we're friends. That's all, and actually, it's fine. We're both moving on. It's good."

"That's mature," Maggie says, nodding in approval. "I never thought I'd see the day." She laughs suddenly. "Well, looks like I should tell Natalie that she won the bet, then."

"He's going out to the bar with someone,"  I explain. "Right now, actually. He just left. We really are moving on."

"I'm impressed," Maggie tells me. "The you of a few weeks ago would have gone mad." She stops for a moment, thinking. "Oh wait. You did do just that, in the bar."

"Don't remind me," I say, feeling absolutely humiliated about the memory. "Seriously. I don't even want to think about that."

"I don't blame you," Maggie says. "Well, I'm glad that everything is going well for you and Connor. I'm not going to lie, it did make everything just a bit tense down here for a while." She nods, as if remembering it. "It's a good thing that those days are behind you now."

"They are," I insist, firmly. "We won't do anything like that again. We know better, I know better. We're friends now, anymore. Just friends."

"Just friends," Maggie echoes. "You've come a long way, Tessa. Anyway, enough talking. Treatment 2 awaits you, and it is urgent, like I said. Go on!"