Chapter 43

author note: i apologise in advance...

right where you left me- TAYLOR SWIFT!

TESSA'S POV

I have no idea what to think after everything that happened yesterday with Connor and Will. It was weird, the way that they were both acting. Whatever was happening with them yesterday, I hope that it doesn't carry on today. I can't spend another day trying to figure out what's happening.

Fortunately, Connor is the first person that I see as I enter. It gives me a chance to talk to him and see if he is acting any differently. I don't even know what to expect anymore. "Connor," I say, walking over to him.

Connor turns around. "I wanted to talk to you, actually," he says. "It's about yesterday, actually. I feel like it was a bit awkward. I'm sorry about that. Definitely my fault, but I think we should just agree to brush it under the rug, right?"

I wasn't expecting him to just come out with it like that, but I agree with him. "Okay," I say, nodding. "That's fine by me. Although, I don't think it was that awkward."

Connor smiles. "It's just been a weird week for me," he explains. "I think that's it, anyway."

"I get it," I say, shrugging. I understand where he's coming from. I've had those sort of weeks before. "You know, if you're not doing anything after our shift today, we could go and grab a drink at the bar? To make up for me not being there at your birthday. Only if you want to, of course."

"I do," Connor tells me, nodding. "I really do. I think that's a great idea, and I'm free. I'm not doing anything after our shift." He smiles again. Twice in one conversation?

"Great," I say, nodding. "That's good. It'll be a great chance for us to catch up." I'm relieved that there doesn't seem to be any awkwardness between us today.

"I'm looking forward to it," Connor says. "And I don't mind driving you home." He pauses. "I know how much you hate driving in the dark."

"I appreciate it," I say, and I really do. "I just don't want you to have to go out of your way. Your apartment is in the other direction. It's completely fine. I can drive back."

"The offer's still on the table if you want," Connor tells me, shrugging. "I hate to do this, but you caught me at a bad time, and I really do have to go. It's busy today. I doubt I'll even see you until the end of our shift." He laughs at that. "Okay, now I really have to go. I'm needed up in the OR."

"Okay, you go," I say. "Go on. I have to sign in anyway, and I can't be late. I'll see you later."

"See you at the end of our shift," Connor says. "I'll wait down here for you." He pulls out his pager, and then quickly leaves, heading off in the direction of the elevator.

"Making plans?" Maggie asks me, approaching me from behind. "How about getting to work instead?" She smiles. "I'm joking. But come on, you need to get signed in."

"I will," I tell her, nodding. "I only just came in here. I was just arranging to go to the bar with Connor after both of our shifts are over," I explain to Maggie, who smiles approvingly at the plan.

"Wow," Maggie says, smiling. "You two are getting close again. Making plans? I see." She grins at me.

"It's just friendly," I tell her, firmly. "As friends." Mostly because that's all we'll ever be.

"Of course," Maggie says, sighing. "Let's hope that one of these days, you both come to your senses about this."

"We already have," I tell her, shaking my head. "And my senses tell me to stay friends."