Chapter 63

cool about it- boygenius

It has been a few days since the spontaneous apology, and everything seems to be going well between us. Connor and I are sitting on the couch in his apartment, talking.

"I should probably drive back to my place," I say, looking up at the clock. I didn't even notice where all the time went. "It's getting late, and I have to wake up early tomorrow for my shift. I should go."

"Already?" Connor asks, looking up at the time. "Wow. That was fast. I guess you should go."

I nod, although I'm comfortable on his couch. Still, I have to leave. I would stay the  night as his place, but I have a much earlier shift tomorrow.

"I'll get my coat," I say, standing up. I walk over to get my coat, and put it around my shoulders. When I come back to where Connor is sitting, he is looking at me with a strange expression.

"You should move in with me," he says. "Live in this apartment, with me."

I pause, working out whether he's actually serious. "What?" I ask, on the verge of laughing. "You're joking right?" I'm in disbelief, that was the last thing I would have expected him to say.

Connor shakes his head. "No, I'm serious. From what you've told me, you hate your apartment, how cramped it is, how far away from the hospital it is. We used to live together. Move in with me."

I shake my head in disbelief. "I can't," I tell him. "We can't do that. What happened to taking it slow? I can't just move in with you."

"It's not such a big deal if you've done it before," Connor reminds me. "You did live here before, and you practically live here now. You keep your clothes in my closet and your conditioner in my shower."

"But we're still figuring things out," I say. "We've hardly been together for very long, when you think about it. This is all so new, and I know we've done it before, but it's different this time. You wanted to take it slow."

Connor nods. "I did, but this has been going on for a while now. Like I said, you keep your things here, and you sleep over a lot. Move in with me. Then we won't have to cut our time short anymore."

"It won't work," I say. "Remember last time? We lived together before, and it didn't work out at all. We broke up."

"Tessa," Connor says, taking a deep breath. "I know you have your reservations about this, but trust me. It's going to be different this time. Move in with me. Let me show you."

"What if we can't live together?" I ask him. "What if it all ends up like last time? With us broken up. That was probably a direct result of us moving in together so quickly, when we hadn't even really found our feet."

"This is a big step," Connor says. "But don't be scared of committing. I promise that it won't turn out like last time. We'll be okay."

"I don't have a fear of commitment," I tell him, shaking my head. "I don't. I just don't know if we should move in together. It's so sudden."

"I think it's the right thing to do," Connor tells me. "Think about it. Take some time, but don't take too long."

"I don't know," I say. "You just sprung this on me, and I don't know what to say. I don't think we should, but you clearly do. That puts me in an awkward position."

Connor pauses for a moment, thinking about what to say next. "It might be a big step in our relationship, but sometimes you have to take a leap. It won't be the same as last time, I can promise you."

"I need time to think," I say, suddenly. "I can't give you an answer right now. I have to think about whether I want this." I sigh. "Like I said, maybe I should go back to my place. I'll think about it."