Untitled Part 70

Beverly and Elder Camarillo came in with vials of medicine.

"Is that all of them?" Anna asked.

"So far." Beverly answered.

I glanced at them. "Is it safe for you to be in here? I know I can not catch the Pox."

"We will be fine Kylie if we catch it. We recover very quickly."

"Are you sure? You do have millennialist's blood running through you."

"Yes my dear Kylie but it is the shapeshifter blood that heals us."

"All right."

Beverly showed me how much medicine to give them. We started at the back of the room and worked our way to the doorway.

Councilwoman Cleo was waiting. I bowed to her.

"How can I help?" She asked.

"Well when Benjamin comes with the broth ..."

"I will help feed them." She said anxiously.

"All right."

I made a small fire pit in the corridor to keep the broth warm. Benjamin brought the broth just as it went into coals. Jules brought a tub of cups.

"Katey tells me that you are to use one cup for one person." He put the tub down. "I am going to bring another tub of hot water to wash them."

I nodded.

Many could not keep the broth down. It took us hours to feed the ones that could.

Paddy came down to see how we were doing.

"Do not tire yourself out."

"I will not." I kissed his cheek.

"I will make sure Paddy." Beverly said. He nodded to her.

'How are they doing?' He signed.

'We have lost six so far.'

'That bad.' I nodded. I pointed to Quinn. He was rocking Leia in his arms.

'When?'

'This morning.' He nodded.

'Her father will not last much longer.'

'The Chief." I nodded. He looked at the rest of the room. He saw thirty vampire Guards tending to the ill and dying.

'Where are the wolves?' I pointed to the far corner. Five of them were ill.

"They can catch it?" I nodded.

I looked at Paddy's neck with horror. He had a rash on it. I touched it. He moved the blanket away the rash started to disappear. I took his arm and pressed the blanket to it. The rash appeared. It disappeared when I remove it.

We looked at everyone in the room. They all have a blanket we bought from the trading post.

Councilwoman Cleo, Beverly and Elder Camarillo saw what happened with the blanket.

"Fetch a large vat of hot soapy water. We have to wash the blankets." Elder Camarillo told us.

Four of the Guard went to get the water. I went over to the werewolves. I removed the blanket from Dennis.

"What is it Kylie?"

"I am just seeing something Dennis."

He nodded. Paddy stood beside me. We watched as the redness faded from the rash. Paddy quickly removed the blankets from his Guardsmen.

"Sir I am cold."

"You will not be for long Philip."

He nodded. Within an hour their fevers were down and the rashes had all but disappeared.

"I am hungry." Dennis said with a big smile.

I smiled back. "That is a very good sign."

"How long have you been using these blankets?"

"About as long as they have. My Lady friend did not want me to become ill from the cold. She insisted." He slowly turned red. The other wolves nodded.

We took all the blankets off and washed them. Councilwoman Cleo had a fire going in the main chamber to dry them quickly.

Paddy and Cory were carrying a bundle of dried blankets back down to the hospital.

"Wait." I walked over to them. I pressed the blankets against both Paddy and Cory's arms.

The Pox was still in the blankets.

"We can not give them back, can we?"

"No we can not."

"Maybe to the ones that really bad?"

"We will ask Beverly."

"I do not think it will matter." She looked around. "We will be lucky if any of them make it to the end of the week."

We nodded.

We gave them back reluctantly.