Untitled Part 78

21

For the next few days we packed up the furs into small bundles for the canoes. Jethro was helping with the bundles. He was preparing to leave also. He thanked the Council for their hospitality and the right information about our kind.

We said our farewells to Mr. Brand a day later.

I had given my vegetable list to Katey who handed it to Suzie. She was making the master list.

Suzie was going to Montreal this trip. Quinn was in charge of this run.

Quinn, Paddy and Cory were in the kitchen discussing how many of the canoes they were going to sell or trade.

"Well we made thirty-three of three-man canoes perhaps five canoes."

"That sounds reasonable Cory." Paddy agreed.

"Vincent and Dennis will be doing the majority of the trading with the furs." Paddy was saying. "Suzie is going to be trading some furs for the seeds she needs." They nodded. "She will be the only mortal going. Make sure she does not lift or walk too much." He told Quinn.

"All right Dad." Quinn said.

"That will not be a problem." Cory slapped Quinn on the back. "You will probably be her personal guard."

"Aw Uncle Cory." Quinn turned red.

"I am serious Quinn. You would be the perfect person for the job."

"You think so."

"Yes Quinn I think so. You automatically do it when she brings food to the sentries."

"Oh? I did not know I did that." He turned redder.

"Do not be embarrassed by it Quinn. It comes naturally to you."

"Really Uncle Cory?"

"Would I kid you about something that important?"

"I do not know you do like to tease."

They laughed.

"Kylie what are you doing?" Paddy asked me.

"I am making soup."

"You are making soup Mom? I love your soup." Quinn said turning around.

"Good it will be ready for lunch."

"All right. I will be here."

The Boys came running into the kitchen. "Good morning Dad, Quinn, Uncle Cory, Mom." They said in unison.

They had started talking the day after they first spoke with Elder Camarillo. When they spoke, it was always in unison.

It was a little eerie at first.

They sat quietly with the rest of the men at the table.

"Uncle Cory when will we be allowed to come with you to Montreal?" Pete asked by himself.

It was the first time any of them spoke solo. We were a little stunned.

"Um ... um when you have started doing patrols." Cory told him.

"All right when do we start patrolling?" Pete asked.

"Not for awhile little brother. You still have to train with swords."

"Swords? We get to use swords." They said excitedly.

"Yes eventually. First you have to learn your letters and numbers then patrolling the caves before you even start with swords. But the first thing you must do is eat."

I placed plates of food in front of all of them.

"Thank you Mom." They said in unison.

The older men were hiding their snickers in their teacups.