Story 8, part 1 - Ellie's feelings

Ellie's point of view (on the day of her school graduation):

Finally done. Merlin's beard, I was happy to finally be able to leave this school behind. I passed all my exams, even if I don't know how, and had my school diploma in the pocket.

I was pretty proud of myself at that point.

I walked out of the castle together with one of my few friends, Laura Thompson. We were very close and she was the only one who knew my biggest secret.

When we got outside, I saw my parents waiting. They were waving happily to us. Laura had become a really good friend over the last few years and we spent a considerable amount of our free time together. She really was a great person.

Dad took the heaviest suitcases from us and apparated us to our front door. I went inside and saw Jennie. What was she doing here?

She stood up and gave me a big hug, "Happy graduation, Ellie! You finally did it!" she said joyfully.

I was perplexed. I hadn't expected Jennie at that moment. She beamed at me with her adorable heterochromatic eyes. My heart was pounding fast in my chest. That embrace, her body against mine, her enchanting scent of parchment, her tight summer dress highlighting everything I desired so much. Oh Merlin.

"Hello Jennie!" said Laura kindly. "Hello Laura. It's been a while since we've seen each other."

"Jennie... well I'm glad that you're here, but what are you doing here?", I asked, trying not to let my expression show. "I have a little surprise for you," she said, tilting her head a little.

"What is it?" "I won't tell you, but I need your suitcase just now," she said, grinning broadly.

Oh Merlin, no. Not my suitcase. I still loved to draw and since my thoughts were far too much about Jennie, I had drawn some pictures that were.... well, were not meant to be seen by Jennie.

"Sure, I'll just unpack it first." "It's fine, I'll do it for you." "No, thanks. I have to sort out all my drawing stuff, you'll make a mess of it otherwise. I'll bring the empty suitcase down in a minute," I replied, grabbing my suitcase and hurrying up the stairs.

I burned all the drawings in my little metal bucket. I would never let her or anyone else see those drawings. And especially not Jennie.

I threw my dirty clothes on the bed and put my drawing pencils on my already overstuffed desk.

The suitcase was empty and I went back downstairs.

I didn't want Jennie to know about my feelings. We had known each other for so long and spent so much time together. But I was sure she didn't return my feelings and I just didn't want her to distance herself from me.

Jennie was like a sister to me. After all, her brother was married to my sister. But since I was in third year and Jennie was no longer at Hogwarts, I realized that there was more to me than just friendly love. I was ashamed of my feelings and my thoughts.

"Now you can do whatever you want with that suitcase," I said with a laugh and set it down next to the stairs. Jennie took it and ran up the stairs.

Laura gave me a pitying look. As the only person in my life, she knew of my true feelings.

After a time of endless nervousness, Jennie came back downstairs. Laura grabbed her things and headed for the door. "Thank you for the tea then. I'm going to go and see my parents," Laura said and took her leave. Don't leave me alone, I thought to myself, but I said nothing.