Story 39, Part 4/4 - Growth

Garreth and I put Caelie on the second lounger in the basement, but she assured us that she had not had any contractions before, which was also confirmed by Garreth's scanning.

Now it was a case of waiting for it to start. Caelie, Gwen and Yvain decided to go for a walk together, as this was thought to stimulate labour.

"Nicholas will be quite jealous when he finds out," Garreth said, grinning at the two new parents.

"He already knows. He had asked me at the wedding and I didn't want to lie to him. He wanted to know how we came up with those names, of course, and when I told him they were your middle names, he loved the idea. The two of them have really changed," Venia said, now starting to cry herself.

I took her in my arms, "You did it. You have a beautiful little son, a very charming husband, and you have your family back." "It doesn't get any better than that," she said softly. "Exactly. If you like, I can bring your parents here too. I'm sure they'll be very happy to see the little one."

"No thanks, Sebastian. I want to rest a little first." "We'll leave you to it for a few minutes then," I said, ruffling Eddie's hair.

"Just call, we'll sit on the sofa upstairs. Best try and feed him!" exclaimed Garreth as we walked upstairs hand in hand. I sat down on the sofa and Garreth put his head on my lap as he looked at me suddenly angry and worried.

"If I hear you say to our son one more time that he should take your life energy for Venia or Caelie when they die, we will fight like never before, Seb," he said quietly.

"Did Eddie tell you?" "No. But earlier there was a sudden flash of rather dark light, and then I looked to see where it was coming from, and that's when I heard you." "You know it would be right, though." "Yes. It's true. But you're not the only replaceable father. Stop putting yourself down every time. We're both on the same level."

"No, we're not." "Yes we are, Seb. When are you going to realise that? Isn't it enough that our children see us as equals? Your daughters-in-law? Your spouses? What more does it need?"

I couldn't answer. I knew he was right on this point, but I couldn't see it the way he could. I knew what he had done for the world and the family, and what my contribution was. I began to cry bitterly as my eyes continued to fix on Garreth.

"Do you think those two down there are naming their first son after the two of us for no reason?" asked Garreth, placing his hand on my cheek as a tear ran from the corner of his eye himself, "You mean so much to all of us. It hurts me that even after all these years, I see so much doubt and so much scepticism in you. Over and over again it feels like we don't show you our love well enough, but how can we prove it to you any more, Sebastian? 

Caelie and I have given ourselves to you for eternity, we wear your last name with pride, and I have always told the truth to every student who has asked why Eddie and Sebbi look so different and told them about the most wonderful man in my life. I wish just once you could see yourself the way I or Caelie see you," he said softly.

I didn't want him to cry. And especially not him crying because of me. I slid a hand under his head and pulled him to me. It was a loving, if somewhat wet, kiss that only ended when Caelie and my in-laws returned home.

"It's starting," Caelie said cheerfully, sitting down with us, "What's wrong?" "Oh, you know Seb and his non-existent self-esteem." "Oh Seb. You'll never understand, will you?" "And I can't give him any more drugs or he'll be high all the time," Garreth said, puffing a little.

"Come on, let's go downstairs," Caelie said, groaning. "Contraction?" "Yes, but just a little one. Will probably take a while. But then we can get to know our grandson a little." Grandson... It sounded so absurd.