Story 22 - Uncertainty

Ellie's point of view (Winter 1903, a few months after her graduation from school):

"Ellie, when does your holiday start?" asked Jennie to the Saturday morning. "Holiday?" "Sure, we have to go to Paris, don't we?" she asked, irritated. I snapped my eyes open, "You want me to come with you?", I asked equally irritated. "Huh, sure? I thought you knew?" "I think we had a little misunderstanding there. I don't want to come there. I thought you were going alone to see your family?", I said quietly.

Jennie sat down next to me and looked at me sadly, "Really? You want me to celebrate Christmas without you?" "Well, I don't want to, but I can't take a huge family event with loads of people staring at me." "Oh come on, it won't be that bad. My family didn't care when Gary, Sebastian and Caelie showed up in a threesome either, didn't they?"

"Yeah, but at least everyone knew they were together then. Who knows that about us?" "I know what you mean, but this is a wonderful chance to catch up." "Jen, please don't do this to me," I whispered, giving her a really desperate look, "I just don't want anyone looking at us or badmouthing you." "Why would anyone do that?" "Because I just turned 19, I have a Muggle job, because I'm your sister-in-law's sister, because I'm a woman, and and and. There's so much to talk trash about." "Really?" "What?"

"Nothing you say is a reason to talk bad about you, or me. Kay and Elva have their shop where they sell Muggle stuff. By the way, Kay is younger than Elva, too. And you're worried because we're both women? If you don't want to come, then that's the way it is. But just say you don't want to, and don't act like my family isn't open-minded enough," Jennie said and walked annoyed out of the living room.

I threw my head back and thought for a moment. She was absolutely right. All the Weasleys I've met so far have been super friendly and open-minded. Except Ereck, but no one really liked him either.

I took a deep breath and went after Jennie. She was in the bedroom. I knocked on the door and heard her sobbing. "Can I come in?" "If you don't mind anyone seeing you. Sure." she replied annoyed.

Slowly, I opened the door. Jennie was sitting cross-legged in the middle of the bed with a large pillow in her arms. "I'm sorry, Jennie. You're right. Your family is very approachable." "Then what's your problem?" she asked, wiping tears from her eyes as she gave me a dark look.

"I always feel like I've achieved nothing. Especially next to you. You're a great witch, and you do precious work every day. And me? I paint pictures for Muggles, in a Muggle way, when there isn't a wizard coming through the door. And my magical abilities are also... ... developable." "You make people happy with your art, Ellie. That's worth so much," she said softly.

"It just doesn't feel that way to me." "Because you don't care enough about yourself. You play a part in making people happy. Your place in the world is not less worthy than mine.

But Ellie, are you ashamed of our relationship? You make me so happy. You give me more love than anyone ever has. So, please join me to my family. Let's make it public. We've been a couple for six months now. I'm tired of hiding it from everyone."

"No, of course I'm not ashamed. I love you, darling. And if it's that important to you, I'll come with you"

The thought of being the centre of attention continued to disgust me, but I didn't want Jennie to doubt my love, nor did I want this show that we were only best friends. Jennie jumped up, and snuggled against my back. "Thank you, Ellie. I know this is hard for you." "Can you organize me some sedatives from Garreth? I continue to be really scared," I said, laughing slightly.