Chapter 4: The Man

I'm so sick of running as fast as I can

Wondering if I'd get there quicker

If I was a man

~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~

Trigger Warning: brief mentions of sexual assault/abuse. It will be marked between #### Doesn't contribute to heavily to the main plot

April 30, 2001

Indie had been working at the Saint Mungo's for three weeks now and had liked to think she had gotten into a great routine. She was able to wake up at six and make breakfast for her and Cyan before dropping him off at Molly's and then apperates to work. There Draco meets her at the door with an iced coffee in one hand for her and a warm black coffee in another. Then they would head to their lockers to get ready for the day before meeting Healer Cooper at the desk and place everyone on an attending healer's service. The 24 hour shift was only for orientation week as to help better the residents to acclimate to the hospital. From then on they were required to work three 12 hour shifts but were encouraged to work over time to get time and a half. Since Indie was now working 12 hours at a time she took her lunch around 1 and more often than not Draco joined her. If any of the other residents were around they were invited to join. By the time 7 PM came around Draco always managed to procure a pastry for Indie and himself before apperating their separate ways. Draco goes back to the apartment and Indie picks up Cyan. Indie really isn't sure how Draco and her fell into this routine but she found herself missing it on her days off.

She found herself growing close to the four members in their residency class as well. Among the six of them Indie and Draco were the only ones in Slytherin. Elijah Cravis was a Ravenclaw, Farris Hawbot, and Karina Murphy were in Hufflepuff and Gretchen Leona was the only Gryffindor. While they were still in their orientation week Healer Cooper made sure to partner them up with everyone at least once to really get to know one another. And yet when it was time for the residents to be offered orientation she found herself gravitating towards Draco.

Everything was perfect at work, or almost. The only problem Indie couldn't solve was the misogyny from the older male healers, in particular Healer Haze, to which Draco and Indie nicknamed Hades. Unfortunately, Indie was on his service today but on the bright side, so was Draco.

They had just finished rounds when Healer Haze turned to Draco and Indie, asking them, "Can one of you tell me any or all the ingredients of the antidote for common poisons."

"A bezoar," Indie replies instantly.

Instead of complimenting her, Healer Haze rolls his eyes and clicks his tongue, "Of course you only know the most basic ingredient."

"Sir she answered your question," Draco scowls, "You said name any or all ingredients and she named one."

"Yes but the most common ingredient in any antidote for poisons. A child would've said that. She has been offered a spot in one of the most prestigious healer programs in the country and all she can offer is a bezoar."

"Well maybe she wasn't done," Draco argues.

Healer Haze crosses his arms over his chest and turns to Indie, "Well were you done?"

Indie gulps, "No sir."

"Go on

"Two measures of Standard Ingredient, one pinch of powdered unicorn horn, two mistletoe berries, and of course one bezoar."

Healer Haze just nods before asking, "And what is the standard ingredient?"

Indie's palms begin to sweat as her mouth runs dry, unable to formulate an answer. Healer Haze grunts before turning to Draco, "Do you know Healer Malfoy?"