Chapter 23: Bigger Than The Whole Sky

Goodbye, goodbye, goodbye

You were bigger than the whole sky

You were more than just a short time

And I've got a lot to pine about

I've got a lot to live without

I'm never gonna meet

What could've been, would've been

What should've been you

~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~

March 14, 2002

No one realized it at the time but Astoria Greengrass' last good day was Indie's birthday. Two days after the party she was bedridden, a month later she was admitted to St. Mungo's ER, the month after she was sent home to be "made comfortable" and two days ago Indie got the call. One of her best friend's in the world was no longer in it and now for the fourth time Indie found herself at a funeral.

It was a miserable and dreary day in London as Tori's family and friends gathered in a small chapel near the Greengrasses Mausoleum. It was drizzling slightly as Indie made her way into the chapel clutching Cyan's hand. She almost dropped him off at Molly's, thinking he was too young and that she should spare him but Cyan instead wanted to be there to give Connie a hug. Indie had no idea how perceptive Cyan was and her heart melted at his empathy despite not really understanding the situation. Indie made Cyan go in front of her as they filed into a pew close to the front, where Ruth, Ginny, and Harry were already sitting.

The Greengrasses weren't a large family by any means and the number was even less with a few members locked in Azkaban but the room still seemed so full. The organ started as the priest walked down followed by the casket, being carried by Draco, Daphne and Tori's uncle Thadduas, and their two cousins Malcolm and Lincoln. Walking behind them was a tearful Daphne, holding tight onto a glum looking Connie, their parents Florian and Adorabella, her Aunt Marelina, younger cousin Cassie, and Florian's parents. Once the casket was placed in the center of the altar the pallbearers took their seats as well as the family before the Priest started the service.

In all honesty Indie disassociated the entire time. Between trying to answer Cyan's questions about the events taking place and Draco constantly clinging to her in some way she was emotionally and physically drained. Indie was also grieving but she had practice in dealing with and handling all the emotions that came with it. Draco on the other hand...hadn't as all he had in the grief department was his father passing, and there were less than found memories while remembering him. Draco wasn't the only emotionally struggling individual as most of Indie's friends had yet to lose someone of significant and close importance to them until Tori. In addition, the fact she was so young was also a sore reminder of the tragedy of it all.

The priest bringing out the incense drew Indie's focus back towards the altar as he was wavering the deceive and singing the closing prayer. After everyone stood up, the pallbearers went to stand next to the casket, picking it up and carrying it out while the rest of the people followed after them. The casket was carried a few meters next door from the chapel and placed in front of the Greengrass Mausoleum.

Indie grimaces as Draco continues to mildly squeeze her hand and regrets wearing rings on that hand as they begin to pinch her skin. Cyan tugs on her skirt causing her to look down at him as he points to Connie. Indie understands that he wants to stand next to Connie and she lets him walk over. Cyan somewhat runs over to Connie and engulf her in a big hug to which Connie smiles at him. Draco inhales a shaky breath as Daphne makes her way next to the casket holding out a piece of crumpled up parchment.