Chapter 12: State of Grace

And I never (never)
Saw you coming
And I'll never (never)
Be the same

~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~

August 1, 2001

That date down by the docks was a great date. Amazing even. But with Draco and Indie's hectic schedule it seemed that it was going to be the only one they would go on. Sure Indie and Draco were able to see each other at work and eat a few meals together here and there. And on the rare chances they actually were off on the same day together it was spent with Cyan. Neither of them minded that much as long as they were in each other's company.

Indie had just pulled a fresh batch of chocolate chip cookies when she got a text from her phone. She sets the hot tray down on the counter before grabbing it.

"Shit!" She exclaims reading the text and rushes to Cyan's door, banging on it, "Cy. I need you to grab some toes and a change of clothes. You need to talk with Mimi tonight. I forgot I switched shifts with Karina and I need to go to work!"

Indie darts into her room and starts throwing the clothes she's wearing off, scrambling to find her scrubs and coat before rushing out. She grabs a hair tie as she makes her way to the kitchen and starts to brew a couple of coffee for her to take.

Cyan marches out, wearing his book bag, and stands proudly by the counter. Indie smiles at his preparedness before pouring the finished coffee into a travel mug. On the way out she grabs two cookies and gives one to Cyan before she locks at the door. As Indie turns to rush out she hits a firm yet squishy brick wall and something brushes past her leg.

"Whoa there purple!" A deep voice chuckles and Indie looks up to see Draco and Rook by his side.

"Hey Draco," She states and forces a smile, "I am just in such a rush. I forgot I had a night shift tonight and I went to get Cy to grandma's. Hopefully she's home and can watch him."

"I can watch him." Draco states as Rook goes to jump on Cyan to lick his face and Draco tugs him down.

"Really?" Indie says, too stressed to mask her surprise.

Draco chuckles, "Yeah. I'm good with kids remember. Plus, Cyan and I are buddies."

"Oh really?" Indie replies in disbelief and looks down at Cyan, who is grinning.

"Ok," Indie sighs, "Fine, Cyan you're going to stay with Draco."

"Solid," Draco smiles and gives Cyan a high five.

"Did you want to watch him at my place or yours?" Indie asks.

"I can watch him at mine, it's fine," Draco smiles and starts to unlock his door.

"Perfect!" Indie exclaims and kisses Cyan's cheek, "I really gotta go. Love you Cy. Thanks again Draco!"

"Bye Aunt Indie!" Cyan waves as she rushes down the stairs.

Draco nods at Cyan before pushing his apartment door open and welcomes the young boy inside. Cyan walks in cautiously, only ever seeing a small view of it from the hallway. Draco bends over slightly to unhook Rook from his leash before heading over to the kitchen.

Draco is on edge as he watches Cyan out of the corner of his eye. The young boy walks cautiously over to the black leather couch and sits on it but not before taking off his book bag, setting it on the ground. He turns to the pristine stainless steel fridge and opens it, ashamed at the barrenness of it all. He turns around rubbing the back of his neck and his hurt tugs at the look on Cyan's face. Despite him and Draco getting along quite well it had always been with Indie and now Cyan looks afraid.