Chapter 5 - The Hope That Lies Beneath The Surface

"Spoken Words" - 'Thinking' - *Sound Effects*

*I do not own Nikke, or any of the related characters. Nikke is created and owned by SHIFT UP Corporation. This story is intended for entertainment purposes only. I am not deriving any financial benefit from this story. All rights of Nikke belong to SHIFT UP Co.*

*I claim no ownership of any images used in this story. All images belong to their respective owners*

_______________________________________________________________

Nearing the entrance to the Ark your group was finally able to establish contact with Shifty again. You quickly recounted everything that happened while her signal was cut off.

"I see, I'm sorry about your loss, I'm sending you directions that lead back to the Ark, from there you can get some rest." Shifty condoles.

Just before Shifty was able to sign off, you worked up the courage to ask a very important question, "How did it happen? How did Marian become corrupted in the first place?"

Everyone turned to you trying to think of an answer until Shifty chimed in, "The corruption code must've coaxed her into moving towards the Blacksmith, that way anyone accompanying her would also become its food."

"But why did she act all normal before? It's like she wasn't even corrupted to begin with." asked Anis.

"It's likely due to the presence of the commander, Nikkes are hard-wired to always protect our commanding officers and follow their orders above all else. The moment Marian found commander Y/N in the wreckage her priorities must've changed. It was only when we got close to the Blacksmith that the corruption code overwhelmed her." suggested Rapi.

"If Marian was the one who blew up the transport ship, she must've been corrupted at that point, but what puzzles me is the fact that this ship originated from the Ark." Rapi continues.

Shifty sweated upon hearing that, she knew the implications of Rapi's assessment, "You're not suggesting the Aegis Barriers were broken were they?!"

"No, the Aegis Barriers would've sensed any corruption in an instant, so it had to be something else." Rapi assures.

Shifty took a deep breath before taking some final notes, "You should focus on getting back, I'll report everything here to my Deputy Chief" she says before ending the call.

As your group approaches the surface elevator, Shifty forwards details about your mission to a very tall and taciturn gentleman who eyed her report with curious amusement.

"...And that concludes my report! Is there anything else you need from me, Deputy Chief Andersen?"

The tall man, Andersen, adjusted his cufflinks before turning to the blue haired operator, "If I didn't know any better I'd say you were beginning to develop a sense of humor Shifty

The tall man, Andersen, adjusted his cufflinks before turning to the blue haired operator, "If I didn't know any better I'd say you were beginning to develop a sense of humor Shifty." 'A human commander taking down a tyrant class rapture with just two Nikkes, and a novice at that? Surely there must be some misunderstanding.' he thought to himself.