Chapter 40 - A Fleetly Fading Fantasy

Author's Note: Jeez, it's been a while since I've updated this thing hasn't it? I apologize for the multiple month delay but my life has been rather busy as of late with school and various other obligations. Fortunately I've had more time to write lately so I was able to start making progress on this chapter after sitting on it for months. Also I know I promised to try and publish this before the end of May hammering some of the stuff at the end was a bit trickier than I thought, so I apologize for that as well. With that, enjoy the chapter! I'm very proud of what I've made and I hope you enjoy reading it as much as I enjoy writing. From the title alone I'm sure you can already guess who the star of the show is gonna be, but I'll stop yapping and let you get on with it. Thank you all for being so patient, and I will see you all next time!

"Spoken Words" - 'Thinking' - *Sound Effects*

*I do not own Nikke, or any of the related characters. Nikke is created and owned by SHIFT UP Corporation. This story is intended for entertainment purposes only. I am not deriving any financial benefit from this story. All rights of Nikke belong to SHIFT UP Co.*

*I claim no ownership of any images used in this story. All images belong to their respective owners*

_______________________________________________________________

*Slash!* 

*Slash!* 

*SLASH!* 

The crescendo of two crimson blades echo amidst a fading sky. They clash against each other in a mesmerizing display of bladework that lasts far beyond any duel they've had before. 

"My goodness! It seems I'll have to kick things up a notch if things keep going like this!" 

*Swoosh!* 

*Clang!* 

"*Huff-Puff* I will wipe that smug grin off your face if it's the last thing I do!" 

*Swish!* 

*Clank!* 

The two warriors proceed with their duel, constantly switching back and forth between attack and defense as the situation demanded. 

*Clank!* 

"!" 

In a sudden turn, one of them goes in for the attack from the side, only for her blade to be harshly parried. In the split second that her arms were knocked away, the other seized upon opportunity- 

"Hya!!" 

*Slash!* 

-to jam their blade directly through her torso. 

"!!" 

Blood spills out of her adversary, along with the weight of her actions. 

"*Hack!* *Cough!* Oh my... dear sister..." Before she even has a chance to speak, her opponent reaches for the tip of the sword, to drive the blade even deeper into her body. 

"No!" The victor embraces her opponent before she can drop to the floor, allowing her to slump over her shoulders as they hold one last exchange. 

"Rose!" 

"Scarlet..." 

"*Sniff-Sniff!* I'm so sorry! I-I shouldn't have-!" 

"Shhh..." 

Even as she clings onto what little life she has left, the only thing going through her mind was how she could protect the one she treasured the most. She strengthens her grip around her sister as she whispers calmly into her ears.