Chapter 41 - Pioneering Spirits

Author's Note: Sorry this one's a few days late. I really did want to put it out before the end of June, but wrapping up the ending ended up being a little more difficult than I expected. Plus editing took a little while since I didn't even realize how much I wrote until I finished, LOL. I think after this I'm going hold off on events/bond stories and focus on the main campaign to hopefully get back into more reasonable chapter lengths.

Extra Note: I just realized it's been a little over a year since I first started uploading this story to Wattpad. As a first time writer, I can't stress enough how grateful I am that you would take time out of your day to engage with this work. I honestly started writing it without the intention of sharing, but I'm glad I changed my mind and decided to throw it out there to see if anyone would give it a chance. Whether you found this story recently or have been checking in for some time now, I just want to say thank you all so much for all of your support. I appreciate all of the comments you guys leave me, even the more critical ones, because it means I was able to leave an impression you. Here's to another year of writing! I can't wait to see what NIKKE has in store for us in the future!

*I do not own Nikke, or any of the related characters. Nikke is created and owned by SHIFT UP Corporation. This story is intended for entertainment purposes only. I am not deriving any financial benefit from this story. All rights of Nikke belong to SHIFT UP Co.*

*I claim no ownership of any images used in this story. All images belong to their respective owners*

_______________________________________________________________

"Ugh... What happened...?" 

You find yourself suspended in a void of nothing, with nothing but an empty silence accompanying you in this limbo state. Your eyes throb with a heavy pang as light slowly cracks into your vision. 

*Thud* 

A painful headache soon takes over once you wake up, one that is quickly subsided by a familiar presence. 

"Huh...?" 

"Hm? Ah, commander! You're finally awake!" 

An eager voice squeals with joy the second you wake. Looking up to your left, you see a positively radiant Marian watching over you wearing nothing but one of your shirts. 

"Marian? I-Is that you?" 

"Of course it's me, silly! I'm so glad to see you're finally up!" Marian cheers before nuzzling against your arm. 

Taking another look at your surroundings, you soon realize that you're back in what appears to be your bedroom in the Outpost. Your relief is quickly turned into dread, however, once you have a sudden realization about something.

'Wait... none of this makes any sense. The last thing I remember was running away after Scarlet and Harran got into that fight. So... how am I even here?' 

"Hey, Marian?" 

"Hm? Yes commander?" 

"I have just one question..." 

"Yes, what is it?" 

"Where am I, exactly?" 

Marian pauses at your question at first, looking rather concerned that you would ask something so obvious. 

"What do you mean, commander? We're in your room, aren't we?" Marian responds. 

"But, how can that be? Because I swear I was just on the surface. How long was I out?" 

Marian is left even more confused by your details, so she tries to rationalize them as much as possible. 

"The surface? Why would you be on the surface? Oh, I get it! You must still be feeling tired from what happened. Don't worry, commander. I was here to take care of you just like I promised!" Marian affirms.