Chapter 32 - Counter's Day Off

Author's Note: Hey there, it's been a while. Don't worry about me, I've been getting readjusted to campus life while writing this in my free time. I've been cooking up something very special for quite a while! Hope this one was worth the wait, until next time! 

"Spoken Words" - 'Thinking' - *Sound Effects*

*I do not own Nikke, or any of the related characters. Nikke is created and owned by SHIFT UP Corporation. This story is intended for entertainment purposes only. I am not deriving any financial benefit from this story. All rights of Nikke belong to SHIFT UP Co.*

*I claim no ownership of any images used in this story. All images belong to their respective owners*

_______________________________________________________________

*Rustle* 

*Rustle* 

"?" 

As part of your recovery process you were instructed to rest for several weeks to mend the gaping hole in your chest before you could see any action again, but there was something amiss with this morning. 

Right after Rapi came back from escorting Ingrid, you helped Marian get acquainted with the Outpost where she clung onto for the entire tour, much to the jealousy of her new teammates. 

Seeing all the progress made by Mighty Tools while you were out and about was very therapeutic, with many new buildings made to accommodate all the Nikkes slowly calling this place their new home. 

After a brisk stroll around the Outpost, it was finally time to get some more rest following another quick check up. Since you were feeling a little better, you insisted on sleeping alone that night much to the disappointment of the Counters, but they followed your orders and went their separate ways, except for one. 

As you begin to wake up, you start to feel something shaking under the covers beside you. It was very subtle at first, you didn't even notice anything until something started to slither around your arms. Your eyes slowly flutter awake to find Marian sleeping beside you, clinging onto your arm wearing nothing except a white shirt that looked suspiciously like one of yours. 

"!" 

"Zzz... Commander... Zzz..." 

Marian quietly hums to herself in her sleep without a care in the world as she holds onto you tight. Since you couldn't get back to sleep upon waking up, you weren't really sure what to do. At first you figured you should get up to change some of your bandages for the day, but when you tried to slowly move away from your bed- 

*Grab!* 

"!" 

Marian's grip tightens in response to your moving arm, clearly she wasn't going to let you go that easily. 

'Great... What do I do now? I don't want to wake her up. Actually, how did she even get in here? I distinctly remember locking my door at night...' 

While you are lost in thought, Marian slowly starts to wake up. 

"Uhhh... C-Commander? Commander!" Without any hesitation she immediately tackles you into a hug somehow bursting for energy after being awake for only a few seconds. 

"Woah! Uh... Hey there, Marian! I didn't expect to see you here at this time!" Marian gives you a sweet smile as she nuzzles into your chest, "Hehe~ Sorry, commander! I wanted to spend some more time with you but you were already asleep by then..." Marian dejectedly confesses. 

You give her some headpats as you start to pry her with a question, "Okay... But, how exactly did you get in here? I remember locking the door."

Marian's smile only grows as she gives her answer, "Oh, that's no problem! All I had to do was make this copy of your room key and getting in was no problem!" Marian proceeds to bring out a small plastic card that looks very similar to your room key.