Prologue - II

She woke up early, too early but she found herself unable to get back to sleep. Ava left the bed, getting ready for her first day, showering and making a breakfast of avocado and toast as she watched the clock.
Ava pulled the silk blouse up her arms and onto her shoulders. The fabric sticking to her back uncomfortable. Ava pulled the garment back off, reaching back she felt the space between her shoulder still damp from her shower. Sighing she grabbed her towel again, drying the space before getting dressed.

"Here" Connor put a hand on her shoulder, drying the space between them gently with her towel. "Thanks" she smiled, turning to him she met his lips before pulling her blouse up her arms.

She left the house with plenty of time to spare, allowing herself to find her way to the hospital. She got off the subway spotting the hospital, her hospital, where she worked. Ava allowed herself as coffee at a nearby cafe to ease her nerves. She could see the hospital down the road for her seat outside. Although she'd never admit it she did get nerves at times, even with her experience.

Ava finished her coffee and made her way to the hospital. Arriving to the front desk five minutes before she was due to not appear too early.
She sat in the waiting room for a few minutes before a women came down the hall.
"Dr. Bekker, it's a pleasure to have you. I'm Sarah Woodson, I'm the head of admissions"
"I'm happy to be here" she smiled and stood up, shaking the women's hand.
"Well lets start out tour, shall we?"

Ava followed the women, getting a tour of all the floors, surgical suits, canteen, doctors lounges and units. "You were our first choice, and when the position came up we knew you were the only one we wanted"
Ava smiled politely at the praises. They concluded the tour in Sarah's office in the top floor.
"So how are you liking New York?" She smiled from the other side of the desk.
"I like it, much busier the Chicago" she chuckled, "I'm still getting used to the subways"
"We like I said we are very happy to have you, I just have some paperwork for you to sign and then you can go get your locker and equipment ready for your start" she smiled.

"Thank you" Ava took the documents, sliding them into her cream bag. Ava left Sarah's office,  putting her bag onto her shoulder she made her way back to the doctors lounge.
She entered the empty room, finding a locker with A.B on a sticky note stuck to it. Ava took out her lock and set it.

She stopped at a countertop, taking a pen to quickly fill out some information onto the forms, skimming through them. The door opened across the room and a women stepped through.
"Sorry, this lounge is only for doctors. You can fill out paper work at the nurses station" she told her.
"Oh, I'm Dr. Bekker, I'm start on Wednesday. CT" Ava smiled.
"Oh" she nodded, "Brooklyn Moreno"
"Brooklyn? Like the city"
The women rolled her eyes, obviously used to they question she looked Ava up and down.
"Nice bag" she said coldly before leaving the lounge.
Ava furrowed her brows, glancing down at the Birkin handles in her hand. She shrugged it off, she'd be working with that women, best not to let it get to her.

She put her bag back on her shoulder and left the lounge. Dr. Moreno nowhere to be found.
"Dr. Bekker" a women came up to smile to her.
"Ms Woodson told me you'd be here today"
"I'm the charge nurse for the ED, come here I want you to meet my team" the women brought Ava over to the nurses station.

"It's lovely too meet you all" Ava offered the group a polite smile after she was introduced to them all. "So are you all from New York originally?"
The nurses lists states and serval towns that Ava had never heard of, but all the others seemed family with. Ava awkwardly smiled, trying to hide her discomfort.

*

Connor had finished his dinner, relaxing in his quite house he had the tv on. Switching it off when he saw the phone call he'd expected.
"Hey" Connor picked up the phone.
"Hi" she smiled, instantly relaxing at his voice.
"How was your first day?"
"Fine" she said shortly. "Good, I mean"
"Is it nice? Langone"
"They have good facilities yeah, it's not quite as wide as Med, more taller" Ava described.
"And New York? Do you like it" he tried to pry more information out of her.
"It's nice" she said, answering another question shortly.
"Are you alright? I feel like there's something you're not telling me"

Ava was silent on the line. "I'm the only foreigner"
Connor didn't say anything for a minute.
"What?" He finally landed on.
"Out of the whole hospital staff. I. Ava Bekker. Am the only non-American"
"Out of all the doctors?"
"Out of everyone. Nurses, surgical techs- everyone" she rolled over onto her stomach on the bed, clutching a pillow.
Ava let out a deep sigh, "Connor what if they only picked me to fill some quota"
Connor leaned back against the counter. He knew he needed to say something quickly.
"Ava you're one of the top surgeons in the country. They chose you for your skill"
He heard her take a deep breath on the other end of the line.
"Are you having second thoughts?"
A very quite "mhm" followed.
"You know you'll always have a home in Chicago, Aves. But just give it some time, okey?"
"Okey" she sighed. "I just feel very out of place"
"You deserve to be there just as much as everyone else" he told her firmly.

"Yeah" she said, coming to her senses.
"I have my first surgery on Tuesday"
"I'm sure you'll amaze them as always"
Ava laughed lightly, "anything good in Chicago?"
"No, nothing much"
He was quite on the line for a minute. "I miss you"
Ava exhaled shortly through her nose.
"I miss you more"

*

Ava scrubbed in, taking extra care this her hands and nails, her good luck charm around her neck. She took a deep breath before walking backwards into the theatre. She was fitted with her gown, gloves and mask. Stepping up to her patient she took her place. Their viewing point was full, people waiting to see her first surgery, her skill first hand.
"Dr. Bekker?" One of the techs said.
Ava grounded herself in the room, "Scalpel to me"