Chapter 33- The Fourteenth

January had slipped away for the pair, Connor had moved into Ava apartment. Quite happily.
"Good morning Dr. Bekker" he wrapped his arms around her waist.
Ava spat out her toothpaste.
"Good morning" she turned to kiss him.
"I want to take you out tonight"
Ava looked to him in the mirror, "you know we can't"
"I may have found a way" he kissed her cheek, "it's a special day anyway"
"Oh really, I thought the fifteenth of February was our day" she turned her head to him.
"Doesn't mean we can't celebrate twice" he met her lips, knowing it would be the last kiss till that evening.
"Wear your blue dress? With the bow"
"Okey" she agreed, kissing him once more.
Connor left her side, stepping under the spray of the water.

*

Ini and Ava had gotten a late lunch together. Hiding in Ini's office.
"Connor is taking me out for dinner"
"Ooh, do you know where?" She said, intrigued.
"He didn't say" she looked off into the distance. Taking a bite of her burrito.
"And that bothers you?"
"No of course not. I just don't like surprises" she shrugged, "he does stuff like this, let me know there's a surprise but not what it is"
"At lest he tries" Ini shrugged.
"It's not that, I just. I don't know" Ava shook her head. "I've had much worse guys, I really shouldn't be this unnerved by not knowing where I'm going for dinner" he laughed.
"He know you so well I'm sure you'll love whatever it is"
"Mhm" Ava hummed, "he does. Last time he did something like this we went to my favourite ballet"

"What are you wearing?"
"This blue dress that he likes. I haven't worn it out yet, but he's seen me in it"
"You doing anything tonight?" Ava asked.
"Just me myself and I"
"And a pint of ice cream" she laughed.
"I would have kept you company if I wasn't going out"
Ini took her hand, "ill find something to keep me busy"

*

Connor drove them home, Ava excitedly looking forward to their date. Ava sat in her robe at her desk, getting ready she did her hair and makeup. Connor getting ready behind her she watched him out of the corner of her eye.
Ava pulled the rollers out of her hair, fluffing out her curls. Connor leaned in, kissing her neck and shoulder as he passed.

Ava stepped out of their room in her floor length blue gown. Her hair styled down she wore the simple string of pearls he had bought her.
Connor came up to her, placing his hands in her shoulders  he kissed her: "You look magnificent"
"Do I get to know where we're going?" She smiled coyly, running a hand done his arm.
"No" he took off his suit jacket, draping it around her delicate shoulders.
"You know I hate surprises"
"I know you'll love this one" he kissed her temple before stepping back to let her leave first.

Connor drove them through the night taking route Ava was unfamiliar with. The car slowed near the pier coming to a stop. They stepped out of the car and Connor took Ava's hand as they walked down to the water.
"Connor" she breathed hesitantly.
"No ones around to see us" he assured her.
There was one boat at the pier, a rather expensive looking one.
"No one will see us out there" he nodded to the water, kissing her curls.
Ava smiled, he really had found a way. They stepped onto the boat and Connor introduced her to the captain. The upper level was for the captain and controls. The lower living area was set up for a dinner date with a sheet hung up to project movies.
"I love you" she kissed him once they were alone.
"I love you too" He held her cheek.
"I got your favourite, Indian food"
Ava pressed her lips to him, "my cowboy"

Connor had also arranged for chocolate covered mangos, taking care to mention Ava's kiwi allergy for the food. They watched 10 Thing I Hate About You, Ava practically on his lap with how close they were. Connor fed her some mango cubes, kissed the top of her head as he held her.

They drifted up and down Zumbro River laid back on the padded benches that end of the boat. "I haven't seen this many stars since load shedding in the Cape" Ava breathed, taking in all the lights above her. Her heels on deck beside her.
She had her hands folded on her stomach and turned to look at Connor, smiling.
"Come here?" He held out his hand.

Ava stood, the fabric swirling around her legs. She sat in his lap, his blazer on her shoulders.
"I love you". He brushed a hand through her hair. A loud cry came over the silent water and Ava jumped in her skin. Across the water their were fireworks going through the sky at a hotel. "You're safe" he promised her, touching her thigh he pulled his jacket tighter around her. Ava exhaled and rested her head on his shoulder, watching the fireworks from the corner of her eye. Ava tilted her head towards him, "I love you"