Chapter 6- Tests

Connor bordered the train, some of the seats already taken by other doctors, none of which he recognised. They were leaving from a station near the hotel to meet the head of the programs at his Minnesota home. He checked his ticket and sat in his assigned seat, looking out the window to the station. He sensed someone stood next to him and he looked up.
"23C?" He asked.
"Yes, that's here" Connor nodded.
The man sat down next to him.
"I'm Dr. Fowler" he held out his hand for Connor, "Owen Fowler"
"Connor, Connor Rhodes"
"Oh" he raised his eyebrows, "the Rhodes, I've heard a lot about you"
"All good I hope?"
Owen nodded a smiled.

A moment later the door behind them opened, and a women stepped out. Ava took the seat in front of Connor, settling into the chair.
"Hi" she smiled, to Connor, brushing some loose hair from her bun out of her face.
"Dr. Fowler, this is Ava Bekker, we used to worked together" before Connor would say where Owen interrupted him.
"Dr. Ava Bekker, well I have to say you're reputation speaks for yourself" he took her hand.
"It's a pleasure to meet you"
"Likewise" Ava smiled.
"What's your speciality?"
"Orthopaedic surgery" he nodded. Glancing between her face and the bag on her lap.
"It's that a Birken?" He asked.
"Oh yeah, it is" Ava nodded, rubbing the twilly between her fingers.
"My sisters a fashion Major, she's obsessed with the history of everything. She always said I have buy her one when I'm a big shot surgeon" Owen smiled at the thought of his sister.
"That's sweet, a friend of one bought it for me"
"Must have been a very good friend"

Ava held her handbag in her lap, from the close proximity of the seats Ava's knees were between Connors, her knees brushed his and she caught his eye.
"Ah" an official looking man came up to them. "I'm a colluge of Mr. Harris, Mr. Jones; you must be Dr. Bekker? Our African surgeon"
Ava internally cringed as the man extended his hand out to Owen. Owen forced a smile and took the mans hand.
"I'm from Maine"
The man froze and dropped Owen's hand. Ava reached her hand between them, "I'm Dr. Bekker"
"Oh, of course, it's a pleasure to meet you" he shook her hand quickly.
"You know we have another Dr. Musa, she's African as well" he nodded his head.
Ava nodded as and smiled as he walked back down the isle. She met Owen's eye and took a deep breath, rolling her eyes.
Ava closed her eyes, resting her head in her hand she waited for the train to pull off. Connor studied her features. She really hadn't changed much in two years. He wasn't sure what he'd expected, it had only been two years. But the again, it had been two years.

A women settled in next to them, their table finally full.
"Hi, I'm Dr. Musa" she nodded.
"Oh" Owen nodded, looking to Ava.
"What?"
"Mr. Harris colleague was just here"
"Ah" she nodded.
"He thought you and our other African should meet" he gestured to Ava.
"African, mhm?" She looked to Ava.
"Egyptian?" she said Sceptically.
"South African"
"DRC?" Ava looked her up and down.
"Nigerian" she replied.
"Mhm"
"Mhm" the two women looked away, getting back to their own things.
Connor and Owen looked to each other, not quite sure what they just witnessed.
"So they sat the two Africans together" she nodded.
"They did" Ava said.
"Ini Musa" she held out her hand.
"Ava Bekker"

*

The four of the shared a black town car to the edge from the train station, servals others like it following behind. Ava was sat in the middle with Owen up front with the driver. Her hands folded in her lap and knees pressed together, her shoulder against Connors.
The driveway was along but the house was welcoming, the gravel path was treacherous in heels so Ava and Ini found themselves walking along the stone pavement on the side. It was a large estate, which showed how much money was in the family. The house was double fronted with warm lights on inside.
The front door was open and they all made their way in out of the cold. They were welcomed into a large entertainment room when they stood in a line. The door opened on the far end of the room and who they would soon learn to be Mr. Harris stepped out.