Prolouge- VIII

Connor woke early for his shift, he got out of bed and dressed, ringing Ava as his coffee poured, she didn't answer. He brushed it off and got into the shower, trimmed his beard and got ready for his shift.
He rang again, on his drive to work, seeing no new messages from her. The line rang out and he didn't leave a voicemail.

"Hey man" Will greeted him as he came into the lounge.
"Hey" he said, putting his bag in his locker. "How are you?"
"Good" Will picked up his coffee, "I am more then ready for thanksgiving, I need a break" he laughed.
"You can come over if you want, Nat would love to have you there" he sipped his drink.
"No, I couldn't"
"Yes you can, she'll insist. And Owen loves you"
"He loves Ava" he corrected him.
There was a strange silence that followed, "Do you want me to bring dessert?"
"What ever you want, I'll ask Nat" he touched his arm before leaving the Doctors lounge.

*

It was late afternoon when Connor came out of surgery he glanced at his phone again.
"Woah" someone said as he walked into them.
"Sorry, Will" he apologised, didn't see you there.
"Don't worry about it, you okey?"
"Im fine, I was looking at my phone" Connro shrugged.
"Well I was on my way to get a coffee, if you want to join?"
"Yeah, let me just get my jacket" he said putting his hand on the doorknob, a tightness in his chest.
"Connor, Connor" Will caught him before he hit the floor.
"Get me a gurney!"

*

"You're over reacting" Connor told him as Will ran an EKG, "I probably just didn't eat"
"Big guy like you? You'd have to starve for a day before I'd believe you fainted"
"I'm fine, really" he dismissed it.
"That's not what the EKG is saying" he read it as it came out of the machine.
"I'm seeing elevated ST levels, I'm going to order you an ECHO"
"That's not necessary, I'm fine" he assured him.
"Your going for the test"

Connor stared blankly at the wall of his room as he waited for Will to return.
"You get my ECHO results?" He was changed into a hospital gown and hooked up to monitors.
"Yep, you definitely didn't have a heart attack" he closed the curtain behind the door.
"I told you"
"You had a cardiac event" Will handed him the tablet.
"What?"
"A takotsubo cardiomyopathy, your coronary artery spasmed"
"Explains all the symptoms" he added.
"Have you had any additional stress lately, lost anything important?"
"It could be a delayed reaction from your fathers anniversary?" He suggested.
Connor took a deep breath.
"It's the twenty-fifth of September" he handed the tablet back to Will.
He shook his head, "it's the day Ava-"
"I'm so sorry. I didn't realise"
"It's fine"
"Have you spoken to her?"
"Today? No. She wouldn't pick up the phone"
Will nodded knowingly.

"You know she's okey"
"I know, she's just so far away"
"Connor nothings going to happen" he touched his hands, "nothing like that again"
"You weren't there Will" he shook his head, "you didn't see the blood"
Will exhaled shortly.
"Try her again later, I'm sure she's fine"
"You'll be here till tomorrow and then have a few days off to recover. Chance of a second event is unlikely"
"Thanks Will" he smiled and Will leaned down to hug him goodbye.

Connor had been left with his phone to entertain him. Putting in his passcode he swiped into his camera, a hidden folder labelled Ava. He went through the videos and photos before he found one that struck a cord with him.

Connor was behind the camera filming this as Ava had requested.
"Are you ready?" She asked the camera.
"All set, let's see those first steps" Connor voice said. Ava was walking one her own for the first time since her brain surgery to remove the blood clot. She was stood between two bars leaning onto them for support.
"Is the camera team ready?" Sam asked as he came over.
"Smile, your on camera" Connor zoomed in on him.
"Ava wants this filmed, not me" he put a hand in front of his face.
Connor pand over to Ava who stick her tongue out at the camera.
"Anytime today Dr. Bekker" Sam waited.
"Why are you so eager to get rid of me? You know I'm your favourite patient" she joked before placing her feet ready to walk. Avas legs seized up and it took a lot of strength and leaning on the bar but she was able to move, gaining more and more mobility as she went.
"It's a great first try" Sam said, genuily impressed.
He helped Ava back into her wheelchair so she could save her strength. Connor heard Sam walk away in the video and the camera zoomed in on Ava who rolled towards him with her tongue sticking out.

Connor found a smile on his lips when the video stopped looking at Ava with her tongue sticking out. Despite how thin and grey she looked, she was happy.
He switch to their conversation,

You 16.54pm
Hey, thinking about you ❤️
Video attached

Connor had only put his phone down when it pinged again.

Ava ❤️16.54pm
Forgot about that video 😅

Ava❤️ 16.54pm
Thinking about you too💓, free to call?

Connor hit the call button immediately, it only rang out twice.
"Hey"
"Hey, it's good to hear your voice" he smiled.
"Im sorry I missed your calls, today's just been mad" she laughed.
"It okey" he smiled, fiddling with the hospital blanket, "tell me about it?"
Ava explained her day happily, sparing no detail leaving Connor in fits of laughter.
There was a beeping from another room as she finished her story.
"Are you still in the hospital?" She asked.
"No, no" that's just the T.V"
Ava didn't question it further, "are you okey?"
She didn't have to explain. "Are you?"
"Of course" she sighed, "I don't think I can ever really thank you enough"
"You know you never needed to"

They were quite on the line, just appreciating each other's company.
"You should probably get some rest. Seems like a long day"
"I'm sure yours was the same" she said softly.
"Goodbye"
"Bye"

Connor hung up and brought the phone to his lap. Their was a knock at the door that drew his attention away. "Hey, I saw you on the phone, didn't want to interrupt"
"Ava" he confirmed, "she's well"
"Nat will be happy to hear"
"Did you tell her what happened?"
"No, she'd only worry" he shook his head
"I brought you some stuff" he held up the brown paper bag packing up the hospital dinner.
"Thanks" Connor purses his lips together, taking the meal.

"You know she'll be back" Will put his hand over his.
Connor smiled bitterly, "she isn't coming back Will"