Chapter 41- California

Connor and Ava left Rochester international together headed for California. Not to far away a plane was leaving O'Hare with Natalie and Will. Arriving within ten minutes of each other.

"Ava!" Natalie called, throwing her arms around her.
The two embraced for a moment, "it's been too long" Ava said.
"Hasn't it!"
Connor and Will took the luggage while the women talked, before getting into the car. Connor's family owned the house they were staying in. A luxury he rarely took advantage of.
He paid the driver as they took their luggage up the drive way.
"Wow" Ava said to Nat. "About the same as what I was thinking" Natalie said, taking her bag.
They put their bags away into their rooms, Ava opened the wide windows. The air flowing in. She made her way down to the living room. Ava walked out the big patio kitchen doors. There was a spacious back garden with a large pool and lounge area.
They'd have to get a pool guard for the kids.
Ava stopped herself. What kids? She brushed off the strange thought continuing back into the house.

"We'll need to do a grocery run" Connor said.
"Mhm?"
"Do you want to come with me?" He offered.
"Sure" she smiled. Taking his hand.
Connor let them into the garage, turning on the lights to reveal two Land Rovers.
"Which one" he held out two sets of keys.
Ava picked, unlocking the far car. Connor got in the drivers seat.

They came back with two bags of fresh groceries and fresh fruit. Setting them down on the counter. "Hey" Ava smiled to Nat.
"You all unpacked?"
"Just about"
"I was thinking we'd go out or dinner?" Connor suggested.
"That sounds nice"

Ava and Nat got ready together in her and Connor's room. Nat helping her zip up the end of her dress. Both women wore slip dresses in the heat, Ava pinned her curls up and Nat wore her hair down. They came down to the kitchen to meet the men, Connor taking Ava in his arms, his lips on her temple. They sat in the back seat together while Will and Connor stayed upfront.

They went to a small pizza place with a beer garden to sit out in. Nat and Ava sat next to each other, talking frequently of Owen. Nat showing her multiple photos of him over the last two years.  They all chatted and drank, laughing often. Nat and Will quizzed them on Mayo and all the latest tech they had. They paid their bill and left the car on the street, making their way down to the water. The women ditched their heels, leaving them to be picked up in the sand they walked through the shallows together.
"You and Connor seem happy" Nat breathed. Holding her hand in the warm water.
Ava smiled, looking to the men further up on the shore.
"I'd hoped you two would get back together"

They drove back to the house in the dark, Ava dosing off in the back seat before they got back to the house. Connor unzipped the back of her dress, slipping the thin straps from her shoulders. He kissed her bare shoulder. She stepped out of her dress and pulled on her pyjamas. She fell back on the bed, her loose pyjama clinging back to her she closed her eyes. The bed dipped next to her and Connor joined her under the light covers, the curtains blowing with a gentle night breeze.

*

Connor was sat up in against the headboard, long awake letting Ava sleep in. Her head resting on his thigh. She opened her eyes once more. Sitting up in the bed she kissed him.
"Good Moring" he said, Ava kissing the corner of his lips and cheeks.
"Morning" she finally kissed him.
They lay together, Ava eventually finding her way onto his lap.
"I need to figure out what I'm going to wear today"
"I like what your wearing now" his hand snaked their way under her T-shirt to her hips.
"Oh really?" Her arm came to behind his head.
"Hey Connor" Will opened the door and Connor pulled his hands back.
"Oh, sorry!" Will rushed out.

Ava chuckled, leaning back into him. "We should go down for breakfast" she kissed his shoulder. They showered together, Ava pinning up her hair to keep it dry she changed for breakfast.
"Morning" she smiled as they entered the kitchen.
"Morning" Nat said, plating up the food that Will had cooked.
"I was coming to see how you wanted your eggs" Will cleared his throat.
"I'll make ours, Ava takes them kosher" Connor offered.
"Is that like a special kind of egg?" Wills said quietly.
"There can't be blood in them" Connor took an egg and a mug into his hand.