Chaoter 27- Pasta Alla Vodka

Connor woke early the day Ava was leaving, she dressed, ready to drive home to Rochester. He'd made her breakfast, still dressed in his boxers.

"Call me when you get home?" He asked, holding her close at the door.
"Mhm" Ava frowned over his shoulder, pushing her eyelids closed. "Five hours is a awful long time"
"It'll go quick" he promised, kissing her cheek.
"Bye" she kissed him.
"Bye"

It was Connor's turn now, to make the five house drive home. He'd spent a fair part of his day alone after Ava left, unsure of what to do before going out with Owen, and inviting him back to the apartment.
"This place is nice" he laughed, "I would have stayed here with you"
It was the night before he left and they cracked a few beers to watch a game on the tv.
"Hey can I see your bathroom?" Owen asked.
"Of course, there's an en-suite, in the bedroom, just use that"

Connor walked Owen to the door later in the evening when it was time for him to go.
"Early rise tomorrow?"
"Long drive" Connor replied, saying his goodbyes.
Owen walked back to the hotel through the streets, walking past a restaurant.
"Bye, bye" Ini waved goodbye to her friends as she stepped onto the street.
"Hey" Owen smiled.
"Hi" she pushed her braids back.
They walked down the street together, their still some brightness in the evening as the summer approached.
"Thanks for offering to walk me home" she smiled.
"I was in the area, how are your friends?"
"Good, they miss me"
"Must have been hard, moving all that way"
"Mhm" Ini hummed knowingly.

They walked back to the hotel in silence, Ini pulling her slight jacket higher on her shoulders.
"Do you think Connor's seeing someone?"
"What makes you think that?" She chuckled.
"We went back to his place and I used the bathroom, their were two toothbrushes"
Ini shrugged, "maybe he knows some on here?" She suggested.
"Maybe, yeah"

He walked her to her door, making plans for breakfast before leaving in the morning for Rochester.
Ini closed the door behind her, taking out her phone for a quick text.

*

Connor drove in early in the morning, coffe in hand. He came home and unpacked his bags, sending out his laundry, he sent Ava a message letting her know he'd make it in okey before going for a nap.

He woke mid afternoon and made his way out to the shops before going to a familiar apartment.
He knocked on the door, flowers in hand.
"Avey" he beamed.
Connor moved to hug her, his hand brushing her side as she flinched back.
"Sorry" he apologised.
Ava lifted the side of her shirt exposing her new tattoo.
"Don't worry about it" she checked it over.
"Are they for me?"
"Yes" he held them out.
"Thank you" she kissed him, placing them in some water.

"Can I" he asked, lifting her shirt.
"Of course" she nodded.
"Have you changed that wrap today?" He asked, inspecting it closer.
"No"
Connor lead her to the bathroom, Ava took her shirt off and stood in her sports bra. Taking her tattoo after care kit he snipped away the old cling film.
"Did it hurt much?" He asked, it was only small but still a delicate area.
"A little, just like a sting. Nothing too bad" she said as he gently washed the plasma from her skin. "Which one was worse for you?"
"Spine" he said, gently swiping the aftercare balm over her skin.
"I was very stupid and had a drink the day prior and bled loads"
Connor wrapped her ribs in cling film once more. He stepped back to look at the tattoo. It was three small fine line works, the same style as all of Ava's others. One was a conch shell, a wave and a flower.
"Kayla used to collect shells while Imka and I surfed. She never learned, she wouldn't have had the energy to either. Imka and her mother had this massive flower garden in their backyard. Her mother would cut lilac for me to take home"
"It's beautiful, just like you" he pecked her lips.

He looked around the bathroom.
"You retiled". The new tiles were rectangular and a dark green colour.
"Yeah I did it just before we left so they'd have time to set without getting wet"
"You did this? It looks professional" he said impressed
"Yeah I worked for a tiling business when I was a teenager"
"You really did work everywhere" Connor grinned.
"It was just one summer" she shrugged, leaving the room.

"Have you eaten?" She asked.
"No"
"I'll cook dinner" Ava offered.
"I'll help" he wrapped his arms around her.
"No, it was a long drive, go rest" she touched his hand.
"I'm fine, Avery" he kissed her temple, "ready to be your sous-chef"

Ava separated from him, looking through her recipes to find something quick for them.
"Pasta Alla Vodka?"
"Sounds good" he read over the recipe.
"You get the pans out, I don't know which ones are which"
Ava opened a draw below her stove, "Dairy" she opened the one below it, "and meat"
She took out a dairy pan and set it on the stove. Ava chopped the shallot while Connor got the spices and tomato paste. The pasta boiled as they made the sauce.
Here Ava handed him a shot glass after they poured in the vodka. They both downed their shots, Ava crinkling her nose a little.
"You're cute when you do that" he brushed his thumb against the tip of her nose. His lips meeting hers.

Connor made them some garlic butter to make garlic bread from a loaf Ava had. Feeding her a slice as she worked on the sauce.
Connor gathered her curls in his hands, gently tying them back he kissed her neck.
Connor turned to walk away and Ava watched him, emotion rising in her.
"I love you" she says suddenly.
Connor turns back to her and she suddenly feels quite foolish.
"I-" she begans to repeat herself, afraid he didn't hear before his lips are on hers.
"I love you" she said between kisses, "I loved you since Chicago- I left, I should have told you then"
"I love you too, my girl" he lifted her off the floor with a kiss, putting her down a moment later.

He set her at the table with a glass of wine while he plated up the dinner. Ava leaned back in her seat, Connor leaning over to kiss her lips.
They ate their dinner, Ava knees to her chest she watched him over the table. Their finished their meal and wine. Ava putting the dishes in the sink, planing to do them late, but knowing it would be morning.

Ava smiled taking Connors hands she led him to the bedroom, "Ava I am pretty tired"
"Just lie with me" she kissed him, "that's all I want"
They laid back on Ava's bed, cuddling closely. They watched a movie on her laptop, Ava's eyes closed throughout most of it.
Connor brushed the back of a finger against her cheek.
"I'm awake" she said, never opening her eyes.
"Ava I have to get back to the hotel" he ran his hand down her back.
"Mhm" Ava grumbled, rolling on top Connor.
"Is this meant to keep me here?"
"Mhm" she said much lighter.
"Okey" he said softly, touching her curls. "I love you"
"Five more minutes"

When Ava woke she was on her back, her arms securely wrapped around a pillow. Looking around Ava found a note on her bedside locker.

I'm sorry to leave you,
See you soon,
All my love
-C x

Ava settles back into the pillow, closing her eyes once more.