Chapter 36 - Russel

Ava touched her neck, looking over to Russel across the nurses station.
"Why does he keep on staring at us" Ava breathed, looking down at her papers.
Connor looked over to him and back down to Ava, wrapping an arm around her.
"Ignore him" he kissed her cheek. "I'll see you later"
Connor walked away and Ava glanced up, Russels eyes still on her.

She glanced down, returning to her office. She brushed a hand over her face, staring on some paperwork. Jumping as the door opened suddenly. "You alright?" Ini said, having seen her jump out of her skin.
"Yeah, I'm fine" she relaxed.
"Coffee?"
"Coffee" Ava stood, taking her bag.
They passed by the now empty nurses station.

*

Ava scrubbed out of her surgery, pulling off her cap. She stretched, waking down the empty hall she check her phone.
Arms wrapping around her and she flinched.
"You're jumpy" Connor teased, she pulled away from him.
"Hey, I'm sorry" he stepped closer.
"Cmon, what's wrong?" He said gently, touching her arm.
"Nothing' she exhaled. "He just seems to be everywhere" Ava said quietly.
"Do you not want to go tonight?"
"No" she shook her head, "it's fine"
"Here" he wrapped her arms around her and she moulded to him.
"It'll be fine, he's just trying to freak us out" he kissed her neck.
Connor rubbed her back before letting her go. "There's only a few minutes left on the clock, go pack up in your office and I'll drive us home"
"Okey" she smiled, parting ways with him.
Ava pushed open the doors at the end of the hall, spotting Russel coming down the far end. She held her gaze with the end of the hall, focusing on getting to her office and home.

Connor drove them like promised, and Ava watched Mayo in her rear view before looking straight ahead. Connor slipped his hand into her knee and she relaxed.
They went home and showered, Ava washed her hair ahead of tonight, drying it while Connor dressed behind her.
"Will you teach me how to do that?" He asked, a hand on her shoulder.
She paused. "Sure" Ava took her hands from her hair. She moved to the other side of her head, showing him how to curl her hair, wrapping it around her two fingers before letting it free. He was gentle, as he tried it for himself.
"You know when we first got together, and you'd ask me to come over to you're after nearly every shift?"
"If was not every shift"
"If was most" she smirked to him in the mirror and he shook his head.
"I'd always as I needed to run some errands, and I'd be over later- if I need to wash my hair. I was afraid you think it would be too much hassle"
He finished his last few curls at the back of her head.
He kissed her cheek, "I love you Avey, all of you"

The evening went by and Ava's hair dried, changing into her outfit for the evening they left to catch the train. They could drive, most people could drive to Mr. Harris's. But nearly everyone choose the social aspect of getting the train together. They sat in a booth with Owen and Ini, nothing unusual for them. They Connor's hand traveled up her knee, tracing circles on this inside of her thigh.

They alighted form the train together, Connor staying close to Ava as they made their was down the streets to Harris's. Ava tried to keep up with conversation, heavy footsteps following behind her a chill washed over her. She glanced over her shoulder. It was one of the doctors from peds. Her eyes fell forward once again. Exhaling shakily.

They took their seats, Ava next to Owen like usual. But a new face appeared from across the table. Russel set down, in place of the gynaecologist that was normally sat across from Ava.
"Russel I don't think you're in the right seat" Owen called him out.
"Oh well, Dr. Musgrave was sick, something she caught from one of her kids it think. So, rather then be down at the end of the table. I thought I'd be more central up here"
Ava glanced to Owen, "it's fine" she breathed.

The dinner started, from where Connor was unless he looked down his side of the table he wouldn't spot Russel sat across from her.
They went through their three courses, Ava eyes never not looking down to her plate or across to Owen.

Russel kept his gaze forward, his eyes on her always.
Ava looked to Connor but didn't catch his eye. Her eyes falling back to her dessert.
"Dr. Bekker, how's your new apartment?" Russel said loudly, catching everyone's ear.
She didn't responded.
"The one we all view, at lest I did. Dr. Rhodes too" he nodded.
"It's fine, yes"
Mr. Harris looked between the two.
"I think Dr. Bekker would tell you if she was inquiring about roommates, Dr, Spencer" he laughed.
Russel shrunk back into his seat a little, all eyes on them.
"I hear it's quite close to Dr. Rhodes residence"
Ava put her glass down, "Same building"
"Same apartment" he said.
"Need I remind you, you were our fourth choice" Harris said sternly.
"Do not forgot yourself, behave professionally"
"What about those two huh!" He stood, his chair screeching back.
"They can't keep their fucking hands off each other"
"Lower your voice" Mr. Harris said sharply. 
"It's not fucking fair" he slammed his hands against the table.
Ava's Dessert spoon fell from her plate, she pushed her chair back suddenly rushing out of the room.

The gravel was loud under her feet as she made her way through the dark. She turned a corner at the house, stopping to lean against the house.
Ava exhaled, her hand on her chest.
She heard heavy footsteps coming around the corner.
"Hey"
Ava snapped her head around. "Owen"
"Thought you might be cold" he held out his coat.
"Thanks"
"You smoke?" He asked.
"Are you kidding? No these things will be the death of you" she wiped her cheek.
He shrugged, "i don't do it much. Everyone has their vices" he exhaled.
"I don't really drink. It all balances out"
He looked to her, "you sure your okey"
"Yeah"
"You really jumped out of your skin"
Ava stared off into the distance. "I'm fine"

Owen exhaled, the smoke surrounding them.
"My dad was a heavy drinker when I was a kid"
"I'd go out to smoke to get away from him fighting"
Ava had her arms wrapped tightly around her, "my ex had a temper"

Footsteps came down the gravel path. "Are you okey"
Connor's arms came around her, his hands on her waist.
"I'm fine" she promised, her hand covering hers on her head.
Connor kissed her forehead.
"So it's true" he nodded, Owen having put out his cigarette.
"Good for you two"

"Let's get out of here, c'mon" he wrapped an arm around her.
"You're not going back in there"
Ava shrugged Owen's jacket off her shoulders. Holding it out for Owen.
"Thanks" she kissed his cheek.
"If you're getting out of here can I come"
"I don't feel like going back in there tonight" Owen exhaled.
"Sure" Connor smiled, his jacket having made its way to Ava.

They made their way down Harris's drive way, Ava's arms linked with Connor, leaning into him. "Hey!" Came a shout behind them.
"Wait up" Ini cam down the front steps, pulling her front jacket on.
Owen holding out his arm for her. She took his arm and Ava's hand.
"I can't believe you were going to leave me there"
"We'd never" Ava wrapped her arm around her neck, kissing her temple.