Chapter 38 - Tea and Candles

"Connor" Ava opened her eyes, not seeing him in the bed. A finger ran down the back of her arm. "Good morning, Princess"
Ava rolled over, finding him sat up behind her.
"Morning" she yawned, cuddling into him.
"Happy Birthday" he touched her curls. Ava opened her eyes, seeing a box in his hands.
"We said no gifts" she looked up to him, sitting up on her hands.
"You said no gifts"
Ava looked between him and the box before he placed in it her hands. Ava pressed it open, looking down at the gold pendent. It was a thin gold chain with a circler pendent with an C and A stamped into it, the base of the letters touching.
"Do you like it?"
"I love it" she ran her thumb along the chain.
He kissed her neck.
"Thank you"
"Stay in bed a little longer, I'll start breakfast" he kissed her curls.
Ava watched him go, her head falling back to the pillows she wrapped herself in the duvet, her fingers finding the chain around her neck.

Ava showered and got ready for their day, taking her time with the day off. She changed into some lounge wear, covering her shoulders with a cape.
She came into the kitchen, wrapping her arms around Connor's shoulders.
"What's this?" Ava asked, looking at the box on the counter.
Connor shrugged, "you'll have to open it" he kissed her cheek.
Ava shook her head but opened it still.
It was a Tea & Books set that was immaculately decorated with pink and purple flowers.
She opened the book, revealing a mug decorated in the same way as the box. There boxes of tea designed to look like books and finally a copy of Wurthering Heights.
She threw her arms around Connor, "do you like it then?"
"I love it"
She kissed his cheek and Connor pulled her in for a proper kiss.

They spent the day lounging around, Ava with serval cups of tea's devouring her book. She lay on her stomach one the sofa, headphones on so Connors could watch last nights Jimmy Fallon show, his hand on her ankle.

Ava moved to get a glass of water. Dropping her headphones to her neck.
"She drinks something that isn't tea"
"There water in tea" she argued, setting herself on his lap.
"You might want to cool it on the pages, at the rate you're going you'll be cross eye"
"Well I'll have you to take care of me" she kissed his neck.
"Mhm" he hummed, running his fingers down her spine.
"You should pick an outfit for dinner" he said softly to her ear.
Ava turned her head, "dinner?"
"Mhm" he kissed her.
"You're doing too much" she pressed her forehead to his shoulder.
"Don't say that" Connor furrowed his brows.
"Have I told you I love you today?"
"No"
"I love you" he kissed her neck.
"And we are going to go out for dinner for your birthday, every year"
"And I'm going to spoil you, despite your protests. Every year"
"Your my girl"
She smirked into his shoulder.
"I love you"
"Dinner?"
"Dinner" she confirmed.

*

Ava wore an open back evening gown, in an ocean blue colour that complemented her hair. She walked around the house barefoot, trying to figure out what shoes to wear.
"Trying to get your steps in?" He teased as she came back into the bedroom for another pair of shoes.
"There's no long mirror in there" she called.
"I need to see what they look like"

He came up behind her, wrapping her arms around her waist.
"I'll buy you a full length mirror" he promised, kissing her shoulder.
Ava stepped into her shoes and Connor knelt down to do up the straps on them. Ava holding onto his shoulders.
"Let's go, Avery" he wrapped an arm around her. Ava going without his jacket as the city got warmer.

They dinner was on a rooftop bar in inner Rochester. Connor made sure to book a table far from the edge of the building. Noting Ava's fears.
Connor held her hand across the table. They had a quiet dinner together, taking in the view over the city.
With both of them having a drink Connor order a cab home.
She wrapped her arms around him, handing out of him.
"You happy?"
"Very" Ava breathed into his neck.
He helped her into the cab.

They came into the apartment and she took off her heels, dropping to shorter then Connor once more. They made their way quietly into the kitchen for a night cap.
"I would have done this at the restaurant, but I know you hate that kind of thing" he pulled a small cake for the two of them out of the fridge. He lit the thirty three candle, and tuned it to her. Ava blew it out softly, "did you mask your wish?"
She nodded softly, and Connor brushed her cheek, leaning back against the counter,
"You know you're just as beautiful as the day I met you. More so even"
She rolled her eyes.
"I'm serious" he took her hands, pulling her to stand between his legs.
"You're not god, Avey, but I do worship you"