Chapter 50- You're Loosing Me

Connor had slept at a hotel that night, giving Ava the space she needed. He work early, having never really fallen asleep, tossing and turning all night.

He drove out to their favourite bakery, getting her favourite bagel and coffee with an almond croissant. He shakily opened the front door, getting the keys in while holding the bag steady.
"Ava?"
"I brought breakfast, I thought we could talk?"
There was no reply.
"Aves" he pushed open the bedroom door stopping suddenly when he found the bed empty. He turned quickly, pushing open the bathroom door.
"Ava!"
Frantically he returned to the bedroom. Finding her draws gone through, a fair few items of clothing missing.

He ran his hand through his hair, dialling her number.
The number you are trying to call cannot be reached, please try again later.
He took a deep breath, trying to steady his breath.
"Hey, Ava. Where are you, i came by the apartment to talk, and you're not here. Give me a call when you can, I love you"

He ran his hand down his face. He got changed for work rubbing his eyes, hoping to see her there. He drove into work, a second bagel in hand for his lunch and a cold coffee.
He started his round, working his way around the ED. With no sign of Ava.
He stood at the nurses station and Ini logged onto the computer next to him.

He continued typing, "hey ini"
"How's Ava?"
"Good, I should hope?" She side eyed him.
"She's not staying with you?"
"Why would she be staying with me" Ini stopped.
"She didn't stay at home last night, we got into a bit of a disagreement"
"Oh, so you're in the doghouse, and you want to know how badly" she cocked her head.
"Just tell me if you see her, okey?"

Connor worked at his office desk, rubbing his eyes as he tried to get his work done. He got prepped for his scheduled surgeries.
He had two that day, hai eyes wandered down to the name above his.

A. Bekker- Unscheduled

He furrowed his brows, making his way out of his office to the nurses station.
"Hey Cheryl, do you know why Dr. Bekker isn't schedule for any surgeries"
"Oh she's taken some time off" she told him.
"Oh, did she say why?"
"I don't know, Mr. Harris approved it this morning, it came up on the system"
"Okey, thanks" he smiled.

Connor closed his tabs, opening his email.

To:
avabekker@gmail.com

Hey Avey,

I saw you took some time off,
I'm thinking about you,
I'm sorry. Talk to me when your ready x

He leaned back and rubbed his temple.
He made his way down to the canteen, meeting Ini and Owen for lunch. He ate his salad and bagel, staring at the empty chair beside him.
"Are you okey man?" Owen asked.
"Your staring at that chair like it's the cause of all suffering"
"It's nothing" he sat up.

"Where is Ava" Owen asked.
"She took some time off work"
"You didn't say that this morning?" Ini furrowed her brows.
"I didn't know then"
Ini and Owen shared a look.

His phone buzzed on table, "I have to take this" he stepped out.
"Hello?"
"Is this Connor Rhodes?"
"Yes, this is he"
"I'm ringing to inform you of a car you're insured to drive, we're unable to contact the driver and the car alarm has been triggered"
"Is it a black Mercedes?"
"Yes, Registration  HKT 736"
"I'm sorry where did you say it was parked?"

*

Connor was at Rochester International Airport the hour. He turned off the car alarm using Ava's spare set of keys. He looked through the windows of the car, finding nothing out of place he also found the boot empty, baring a few shopping bags and scrub sets.

Connor locked the car once again, looking up at the building before him.
"Hi, I was wondering if I can get someone information about someone who flew out of this airport. Last night? Maybe the day before"
"We're not at liberty to give out information on our passengers"
"Right" Connor nodded.
"Can I book a flight at this desk?"
"We don't accept cash- only flight miles"
"I can do that" he nodded.
"Where would you like to fly?"
"Chicago, Illinois"
"And do you have the physical card?" Connor opens his wallet, his fingers finding the empty slot.

His arms wrapped around Ava as she slid the card under her fingers.
"Connor" she pushed it away.
"Buy something nice for yourself?" He kissed her neck.

"I know the card number"
The women gave him a sceptical look but accepted the information anyway.
Her eyes thinned, "looks like this card was used to fly to Chicago a few days ago"
"Do you want to dispute the charge if it's fraudulent?"
"No, no. That's fine, just get me on the next flight out?"

*

It was cold and windy as Ava stepped off the L. She made her way through the Greek part of Chicago before stopping at a brick fronted house with steps leading up to a porch.
She knocked quickly in the door.

It opened shortly after, the women before her grasping her hip.
"Can I come in?" Ava asked.
"Ava" Hailey's face ran through a few different emotions.
"Of course, of course. I've just come off shift" she apologised, closing the door behind her.
"Jay's down in Arizona with work. So it's just me"
"I kind of hoped for that" Ava admitted, her voice horse.

"What are you doing here?"
Ava's eyes caught the paper on the table, "I think you might already know"
"I just need to stay the night, I'll be gone by morning"
"I would have gone to Nat, but will and Connor"
"I get it. Of course you can stay as long as you need"

"Thanks". Haliey took her coat for her.
"Did you just fly in today?"
"More like forty minutes ago" She exhaled.
"You must be exhausted, I was going to order a takeout anyway. Have a shower and I'll get something"
"Are you sure, I don't want to impose, I just needed somewhere to stay"
"Of course yeah, up the stairs and the first door. There towels in there"
"You can't leave your stuff here, I'll get the sofa sorted"
"Thank you, really Hailey"

Ava set her purse down, she pulled off her cardigan setting her necklace down on the coffee table next to it. She took her gym bag with her, stepping under the spray of the hot water. She wet her hair, her hands over her mouth and nose.
She cried until her ribs hurt, her sides and head. She pressed her head against the cold tile of the shower, letting the hot water hit her back.
Ava stepped out of the shower wrapping herself in towel. She took out some pyjamas and dried off, getting changed in the privacy of the bathroom before cleaning things up and going back downstairs.

"Hey" Hailey smiled, "foods here"
"Thanks"
They sat on the sofa, eating in silence.
"How have you been?" She asked.
"Apart from this, obviously"
"Good, I really like Mayo. You?"
She held up her hand.
"Oh my god!" She took her hand, looking at the black ring.
"I hadn't heard!"
"We eloped. It was just us Nat, Will and Jays dad"
"Congratulations"

They had dinner together, Hailey didn't ask about what had happened. She knew all she needed to know, more then she should.
Ava laid back on the sofa after dinner, ready for sleep. Once enough time had passed that she was sure Haliey was asleep she cried silently, mourning the life she had lost.
In the morning  Haliey offered to drive her to the airport but she declined, ordering a taxi to take her later in the day. She sat in millennium park, with a coffee, she's been here often, with Connor. It wasn't too far from his apartment block. She drank her coffee, watching as families past her by.

Ava arrived at the airport early after being driven, checking her small carry on bag.
Ava stared out the window as the plane rose higher in the air.
Her fingers absentmindedly traced her collar bone, finding it bare. She looked down, pulling the collar of her shirt down as she frantically looked for the chain.
"Are you alright dear?" The women next to her asked.
"Yes" Ava breathed, "I'd, I'd just misplaced something"