Chapter 15- Worry and Intrest

Connor and Ava had been keeping somewhat of a distance, having gone back to the way things were before their kiss.
They still saw each other regularly, in the hospital for lunch and surgeries. But they'd put an end to coffee dates and evenings in each others rooms.

It was their second case of the day and Ava was leading.
"You want to get lunch after this?"
"I can't, I've got a consultation"
"I'll just go with Ini and Owen"
"I don't know, I saw them down there earlier when I went for a coffee"

Ava stood, her breathing strained and pained looked under her eyes she forced a breath.
"You alright?" Connor asked.
"Yeah, just a pain in my chest" she dismissed it.
"That doesn't sound good"
"It's fine" she continued to work. "I get them from time to time, after.." she met his eye.
"Have you got a new cardiologist?" He asked.
"That is none of your concern" she said shortly.
"Suction"
Connor got to work shaking his head.

*

Ava finished her consultation with her new patient, a particularly complicated case she'd be sure Connor would want in on.

Dr. Bekker to T8

Ava took the lift down. Running a hand through her hair she pulled the curtain back, entering the room.
"Where's the patient?" She asked, seeing only Connor in the room.
"The Ed's quite and I want to do an EKG"
"No" she shook her head, moving to leave the room.
"Humour me?" He stopped her, "Please, then you can tell me how wrong I was"
Ava held his gaze, "fine"
She laid back on the bed, pulling her scrub top and under armour off. Connor attached the motions on her ankles and chest, careful not to meet her eye.
Ava shifted into the bed, her chest covered by a hospital gown. Connor ran the test and the machine began printing the graph.

He read it carefully and Ava saw it through the paper.
"I told you it was fine" she sat up, disconnecting the wires and cables from herself.
"Is there anything these you'd like to examine while I'm here, Dr. Rhodes?" She teased him, pulling her shirt over her head. Ava pulled her scrub top on, leaving the ports on her chest, opteing to remove them later.
"Here" he took her arm, quickly ripping the sticker from her skin before pressing down to dull the pain. Ava took a deep breath as he removed the second visible on.
She covered his hand with her own.
"You worry too much" she rubbed his hand lovingly
"I'll see you at the board meeting later" she slid off the bed.

*

Ava was changed out of her scrubs into a blouse and formal trousers with a pair of heels.
Prepared to go home for the day after this meeting.
She pushed open the door, Birkin in hand. She smiled and took her seat next to Ini.
"Hey" Ini said as she sat down, dressed in a similar outfit to Ava, but with a blazer.
"Hi. How was your coffee date"
Ini shook her head, "good, I didn't know I was being stalked"
"Just stopped by for a coffee" Ava shrugged.
Meeting Connors eye as he entered she smiled, her Birkin between them in the table.

"Dr. Rhodes" she nodded.
"I have a case I think you'll be interested in"
"You'll have to tell me later" Conor nodded to the glass window.
Ava turned her head to see Mr. Harris approaching.
She slid her bag off the table onto the floor beside her.

"Good Afternoon everyone" he greeted them with a smile.
"I have some big news"
"We will have some chairs for the hospital coming in over the next few weeks"
"Our program has been a success, by bringing you all together we have some of the highest Survival rates, patient satisfaction, turn around, recovery time- everything. As such people are interested, there will be serval newspaper articles written"

There was a knock at the door.
"Sorry to interrupt, There's a Mercedes S 580 4MATIV Sedan downstairs in the staff car park going off, reg HKT 736"
"Oh sorry Mr. Harris, that's mine" Ava sat up, taking her bag.
Several eyes and surprised looks followed and Connor met Owens eye over the table. The meeting continuing in her absence.

"You missed the end of the meeting" Connor said as she came down the hall serval minutes later.
"Oh, really? Just when I thought it was picking up" she winced, turning on her heel.
"You want a ride?"

Ava pulled her skin taunt under she shirt before ripping off the EKG monitors on her chest.
"Didn't need that today" she said, wrapping them in a tissue to get the gunk off her hands.
"I'm sorry" Connor said from the passenger side.
"Don't be, I know you were just looking after me" she smiled.

"So, Since when did you have a Mercedes?"
"Quite a nice one at that" he looked around.
"I didn't realise how much of a stir it would cause" she rolled her eyes.
"I needed a car" she shrugged, "I sold the Audi after leaving Chicago and I didn't need one in New York"
"I had a friend who owed me favourite, he was done with some work in the states and put the car in my name" she shrugged.
"Which friend?" He asked.
"From the cape"
"You're talking to your friends from Capetown again?" Connor smiled.
Ava looked to him quickly, "I'm glad to hear it Aves"
"Now tell me about this case I'm so interested in"