Chapter 19- Altar-ofrenda

"Dr. Bekker" Connor caught up with her in the hall.
"I hear we have a case coming up?"
"Yes, quite a big one. Have you read up about it?" She looked to him.
"No not yet. I haven't gotten the notes"
"Here, take mine. I want you up to date" she stopped to take a thick folder from her bag.
"I see, a lot to cover"
"Better get started" Ava touched his shoulder.

Connor returned to his office with the folder, setting it with a thump on the desk. It was a complex case, but he was sure they could handle it. Reading over the case work he started his rounds.
"Hey man" he greeted Owen down at the nurses station.
"Hey, I was hoping to see you, there a baseball game this weekend? I have a spare ticket if your interested"
"Baseball, yeah. I'm more of an ice honey fan but I won't say no to a day out"
"It date" he joked.
"I have to get back upstairs, with the cold snap i've got a lot of slip and falls"
"I'll see you later"

He finished his patient work and found some time to work through the file. Swimming through the pages of information. He had this second coffee of the day and made his way down to the canteen for a well needed movement break and snack.
He picked up his lunch and made his way to their normal table.
"Swamped?" Ava asked, relaxing back in her chair.
"Some what" he sat down.
"I do appreciate your colour coding though"
"Can you get those back to me by the end of the day?" She asked.
"Of course yeah"
"Chicago's favourite duo" Owen raised his brows, taking a sip of his tea.
Ava shook he head taking a spoon of her yogurt.

"Hallowe'ens coming up? Do you want to do something" Connor suggested.
"Get together outside of work? What are we now the Scooby Gang?" Ini crinkled her nose.
"Eh it might be nice" Owen agree, shrugging his shoulders.
Ava sat up him her chair, setting her empty yogurt down, "I'd like to get away from the hotel for a bit"

With a little convincing Ini was soon onboard and the plans were made.
They all parted ways once more, Ava being called into the ED for an incoming patient. While Connor made his way back to his office to finish working on his notes.

Three hours of planning and one migraine later Connor was taking off his blue light glasses and clocked off.
He packed up and drive back to the hotel, getting in out of the pouring rain.
He stepped out of the lift, running into a familiar face.
"Connor" Ava smiled.
"I have your notes on the transplant case, right" he realised once he'd seen her.
Connor lead her up to his room, Ava following quietly after him.
His room was nothing to write home about, she'd been in here before, they all looked the same. His was spotlessly clean.
Ava stared at his bed, "head in the clouds Dr. Bekker"
She met his eye, shaking her head. "I didn't know you took the turn down service, that's all"
"How'd you know that" he went through a few papers in his bag.
She pointed her foot to the corner of the bed, "you can't get corners that tight"
"You don't take it?" He handed her the file.
"No" she shrugged, "I don't like someone being in my room when I'm not there"

"What's this?" Ava asked, noticing a series of decorations and marigolds on top of his dresser.
"Oh it's a altar-ofrenda, an offering; to honour and remember the departed. It's a Mexican tradition, I picked it up in med school while I was there"
"I'm a bit early putting it up but I wasn't sure when I'd have time"
Ava studied the alter, their were a few pictures of a women who Ava somewhat recognised her mind foggy. Connor stood behind her, "this is my mother" he pointed. It was the few photos he had, most of which she was quite young in.
"Elizabeth" Ava said uncertainly, her memories muddled.
"Yes" he confirmed, always patient with her.
"My grandparents, and aunt" he pointed to the last few, knowing she wouldn't know them.
"You bring them thing they liked, sweets- their favourite food- and light candles"
"Well, candles" he gestured to the fax battery powered tea lights he had to avoid setting off the fire alarm.

"Your father?" Ava said quietly.
She felt him inhale, "it's too soon"
He placed a hand on the back of her shoulder, "you could put a picture of your parents, if you'd like?" He offered. Ava glanced behind her and looked back to the alter.
"I'll find a picture"

She made her way back to her room. And sat down at her small desk, moving her laptop aside.
Connor had written in a few things here and there but overwhelming agreed with her plans.
Ava looked up from her notes on her desk, tapping her pen.

She took the box from the bottom of her closet and sat on her bed and ran a hand through her hair. It was always somewhat overwhelming opening this.
The first picture was a worn one of her mother in a hospital bed with a little Ava in her arms. Alan had his arm around the two of them, his gaze on Ava rather then the camera.
They their was one of Ava's mother holding her in a park in Johannesburg, some months before she'd past. One of Alan at her eighth birthday in their Capetown bungalow.

It was late in the evening when she found herself knocking at his door once again.
"Hey" Ava smiled.
She stepped on, holding the photo up for him.
Connor studied the photo of Ava's mother in a hospital bed and smiled.
"It's sweet" he said, glancing to the small bundle in the image to be Ava.
He sat it beside the picture of his mother.
Connor wrapped his arms around Ava, his head resting on hers she placed her palms over his arms.